Need help picking/configuring McMillan stock

SouthTXBowhunter

I need to pick and configure a McMillan stock and I'm a little stuck. I'm building my first custom rifle for hunting deer sized game (and smaller) out to 7-800yds; and for punching paper and steel out a little further. I'm not trying to build a sheep rifle but I AM trying to build a fairly light one. It's a Deviant action with a Bartlein #3 22", Jewell HVR and American Precision RTG/SA bottom metal. I plan to do a fair amount of shooting with it using my tripod/Hog Saddle setup. I've never had, or shot, a tactical style stock before but I'm tempted to try something that's got a vertical grip. They look like they would be very comfortable to shoot. How hard is it to transition from a traditional style hunting stock to a vertical grip?

Originally, I settled on an edge filled McMillan Game Scout. But, then, someone I really respect suggested I look at the A1-3 and the M40A-1 HTG. So, I'm kinda stuck again. Lol! I really need to pick something as it's about 4 months to get one custom made and I'd like to be shooting it this summer.

My last concern is balance. I'd like for this to be a well balanced rifle. With the components I listed, which stock do you think would give me the best balance; and do you think the edge fill is the way to go?

Any advice I can get will sure help me decide.

You might consider a Precision Stockworks rifleman stock. It's made by McMillan. It's not a vertical grip, but Hill Country rifle uses it on hunting and tactical rifles. The McMillan A3 sporter looks nice too.

I have a Game Scout on my 300 Win Mag. Similar to your build: #3 Brux at 26", Borden action, Jewel, Holland brake, Obendorf BM, 5-20 NF SHV. finished at 10 lb 2 oz and balances nice. Shoots incredible.

I have both styles on my LRH rifles. My A3 MM's are mounted on heavier barreled(+.78" at the muzzle) LRH rifles that I expect to shoot frequently from a prone position. In prone, the vertical grip provides me with a comfortable grip and more forward hand position. For my lighter LRH rifles that are carried frequently and shots are as likely to be from upright as they are prone, I like the more classic stock design. For me, it's a more natural fee that I have been accustomed to, feel less bulky, more balanced, and they are generally lighter in weight. In the end I think it boils down to the aesthetic and ergonomic preference of the individual. Both will work.

Definitely check out the A3 Sporteras well.

And I hate to tell you, but I ordered one from them last month, and they quoted me Six months.

I have a Game scout on a similar set up as well.
R700 SA BDL, #3 Bartlein @ 26", Oberdorf bottom metal, Timney 512, S&B PMII 5-25×56 in a .260 Rem. Nuild is almost complete, just need Cerakote. I use this rifle for banging steel out to 1300+, punching paper, and hunting. Mine finishes @ 10lb 8oz. Great to carry, packs a punch on game out to 800 or so, and shoots amazingly small groups. Very comfortable to shoot as well. I have anot adjustable Game Warden on order for my .300RUM as well.

You also might want to look into Manners EH series stocks. I have an EH2 on a 7 Rem Mag, and an EH1 on a .25-06AI. Both are. Ray light and stiff. Great finish and super comfortable as well.

It wears a different scope since this photo.

EH2 in GAP camo

EH1 in Black Forest

Hey BEEMAN, I have a Brux #3 that I should be getting any day now for a 300 win build along with a mcmillan stock on order. How was your load development with that barrel ? Also does your game scout have the edge fill, just estimating what weight my rifle will finish out at.

Load development was INCREDIBLY SIMPLE! Myself and a friend both built using #3 Brux we shoot 215 bergers with basically the same load. He uses 1 gr less H1000 because his brass is heavier. Seated them 30 thou off and worked up to pressure. If i remember right it took 15 shots (5 three round groups). Every powder charge shot equally well which blew me away. It is a custom reamer with added free bore so I can seat the bullets long. It is a standard Game Scout. Not EDGE fill. I was worried using such a light barrel, but that is not a concern for these two rifles. The 215 and H1000 is a great combo. Also the Brux barrels we have don't copper foul at all.

I have a 300wm in a Game Scout and I really like it. This was the first stock that I have owned with a vertical grip. It takes a little time to get used to it, but once you do, it is very comfortable. I also have two rifles with the McMillan Hunter stocks. These have a more traditional grip. They are on my lighter weight rifles and I like them a lot. For longer range shots, in a prone position, I like the Game Scout the best. For the shorter 5-600 yard shots the Hunter stocks do well.

I use the Game Scout w/ edge fill on my 338 RUM and a #4 contour barrel. A #3 to #5 is perfect with the Game Scout. The A3 and A3 Sporter, at least in my opinion, has far too thick and blocky of a fore end for these smaller contour barrels, and leaves too much stock material on either side of the barrel. Adds unnessesary weight too.

My game Scout w/ edge fill and a 14.125" LOP weighs in at 28 oz's.

My A3 w/ edge fill and 13.75 LOP at 31 oz's.

I love the pistol grip of the McMillan stocks. Worth a 6 month wait. Less than half the weight time of a Manners, even though I'm sure they are excellent stocks too.

How is your cheek weld with the game scout ? I ended up ordering.the game hunter with the higher comb and have a couple more month wait on it. I'm hoping the extra height will get me a good weld without needing to add any height.

How is your cheek weld with the game scout ? I ended up ordering.the game hunter with the higher comb and have a couple more month wait on it. I'm hoping the extra height will get me a good weld without needing to add any height.

Cheek weld on the Game Scout is great for me, but totally dependent on the bone structure of your cheek/face. I have heard that the game hunter has a higher cheek but I have not seen any specifics in mcmillan's website listing exact numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.