McMillan Stock....help me pick

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by coues7, Feb 11, 2007.

1. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

As many of you know I am an avid big game hunter out in AZ. I getting ready to have a custom rifle built and am going to start with a McMillan stock. What all you do you guys recommend? This will be a HUNTING rifle.

Thanks

2. 1bung

1bung Member

What action are you going to use ??? if its a 700 and you want light go with the edge and if you dont mind the extra 10oz the classic or mountain rifle stocks are nice .

3. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

It's a Model 700 chambered in 300 Win. The barrel will be a M24 contour...fluted of course.

4. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

What about an A3 with the adjustable cheek piece? I really like the look of that stock.

5. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

+1 on the A-3....might not need the adjustable cheek if you are using up to a 50mm scope.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

You can't beat the M40A1/HTG especially with the heavy barrel, the regular hunting stocks won't work with much more than a #5 contour.
    Here's a pic of my 308 with the M40A1/HTG, it has a 24" heavily fluted M40 contour barrel.
    http://www.hunt101.com/img/398892.bmp
    I don't live to far from you, if you would like to check it out in person shoot me an email, address listed in my profile.

Wayne aka WAMBO

7. timl

timl Well-Known Member

Check out the Rem varmint. I think it's the same as the Sako varmint. I have one on a hvy bbl Howa and it is very comfortable, from all positions, not just prone.

8. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

+1 on the HTG.

9. 1bung

1bung Member

Wambo , thats a sweet rig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heres my .308 in a mcmillan A3 for a comparison .

[​IMG]

10. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

Look at a Manners thumbhole.......Or go with the A2.

11. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

Winchester Marksman, thats what i have on order for my rifle project, Stiller action, Lilja fluted Sendero contour barrel, 22-250 AI.

Ian.

12. älg

älg Well-Known Member

I´d go with an A3, maybe the lighter version; or take a look at Manners Thumbhole, or the lightest version of their tactical stock

13. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

I am putting together a 300 WM with a fluted Krieger #6 taper on a Predator action and a Mcmillan Rem Hunter. Sort of a tweener for hunting.

14. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a mcmillan that is better for a dedicated hunting rig than the HTG? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif