Need help finding the right boat for bears.

I will look into this. The great thing about where I live is we have nice rivers in all directions withing one hour from me. Is it best to start on a pond or something first or what?

I will look into this. The great thing about where I live is we have nice rivers in all directions withing one hour from me. Is it best to start on a pond or something first or what?

That's what I'd do. I think most people think flat water is a piece of cake but there's some things to know about that too. Buy/checkout a book and a video that go into both flat water and swift water. Lots of stuff on YouTube. I like reading a little about camping and touring because for that, you have to plan for less than ideal circumstances which is good stuff to know for anyone on the water. I guess the learning curve is a little like driving a car. There's a few paddle strokes you'll need to learn and ways to tiller (level) your boat to get it working for you instead of against you. Like most things, you learn about it, then you do it a few times and before long, your good at it. Some guys are crazy good at paddling but I don't take it to that level any more than I take driving a car to that level. Just a cool way to get around on the water.

:D.
No, of these rivers themselves. We have about every kind of river up here that there is. So a great boat for 1 stretch of river may be totally inadequate for another.

That's a fact and being careful is always good advice. If you use a canoe for long river trips, your going to have to carry (portage) it around obstacles, rough water and the like. All part of the experience.

I like this guy. He's dead now but just about every canoeist in Canada knows who he is. Parts 2 and 3 have some good white water footage. He can really pic his way through the rapids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.