Need a little help with neck sizing

yorker

I have a 30-378, I have been neck sizing the brass and has been shooting superb, now when I neck size it the bolt has a little resistance when closing it. I am guessing this has to do with the shoulder, but how do I get rid of that resistance without resizing my case? Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Earl

Well you have 2 options
1) Resize your cases a little (bump the shoulder back .001" or so)
2) Buy new brass

I guess there is a 3rd option, you could always move the barrel forward .001" :D:D:D:D

AJ

Thanks for the chuckle, the 3rd option amuses me.lightbulb

I having redding three die set, what is my best option for bumping the shoulder back? Can I do it with the neck sizer?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Earl

I guess there is a 3rd option, you could always move the barrel forward .001"

AJ you've got way to much time on your hands.:rolleyes: You were on a roll with the first two suggestions, but this one might be a little over the top......LMAO though.

Chris

Earl,

I use the full length sizer to bump the shoulder. Put the die in until it hits the shell holder, back it out about 1/16", try resizing one, measure the case, if no shoulder movment turn the die in a touch and try it again. Repeat until you get to the point where you are just moving the shoulder back .001 or.002.

Chris

Thanks for the chuckle, the 3rd option amuses me.lightbulb

I having redding three die set, what is my best option for bumping the shoulder back? Can I do it with the neck sizer?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Earl

Use your body die, or Full Length (FL) die if that is what you have. This will let you push the shoulder back. Make sure to lubricate the brass good. Let us know which die you have, as the directions for setting them up are a little different depending which dies you have. You will resize a little bit at a time until it will just chamber without the binding you are feeling, you will be adjusting the die 1/10 of a turn (or less) once you get close.

AJ

Earl,

I use the full length sizer to bump the shoulder. Put the die in until it hits the shell holder, back it out about 1/16", try resizing one, measure the case, if no shoulder movment turn the die in a touch and try it again. Repeat until you get to the point where you are just moving the shoulder back .001 or.002.

Chris

+1 WinMagman, you beat me to it. If he is using a full length die, he might want to remove the depriming pin and then neck size with his neck sizer once he has pushed the shoulder back.

AJ

If he is using a full length die, he might want to remove the depriming pinAJ

AJ, just to be clear for me to follow, the depriming pin only and not the expander? My thinking is removing the expander will likley result in a neck sized too small which the neck sizer (unless it is something that goes in the neck like a Lee Collett) will not correct. Please help me out here if I've got it wrong...

Thanks.

WL

AJ, just to be clear for me to follow, the depriming pin only and not the expander? My thinking is removing the expander will likley result in a neck sized too small which the neck sizer (unless it is something that goes in the neck like a Lee Collett) will not correct. Please help me out here if I've got it wrong...

Thanks.

WL

You are correct. I meant to remove the entire decapping assembly, and then to completely neck size (the way he's been doing it). I just meant that he should remove the decapping assembly while he is adjusting the die, that way he's not over working the necks of the pieces of brass he is using to adjust the die. I was thinking that he might be using a neck bushing die, but even then, he'd need to pull the expander through the neck once or he'd be over sizing the neck (as you pointed out).

Regardless, he needs to bump the shoulder back a bit and also make sure the neck is resized correctly.

AJ

I had not followed that it was for set-up only and thought I was missing the obvious! Thanks for clearing that up. Yes, that seems like a great way to do it.

WL

Just wanted to let you guys know I followed your instructions and the little resistance is gone, still shoots under moa!

Thanks for everyone who gave advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.