neck sizing help?

yzm19

i am new to the reloading and was reading about neck sizing only. i shoot a 300rum with 200gr smk's. how would i neck size for these. do i buy a new die or something. would this also help with my 308?
thanks guys

You would need a neck-sizing die. Can't really say what would be "helpful." It will help brass life.

I would suggest that you read the recommended Zediker book before proceeding further.

For hunting, FL sizing assures reliable feed. For target, many prefer to neck size until the brass becomes difficult to chamber. What you are mainly looking for is straight ammo. Sizing without a sizing button usually provides straight brass. Using a sleeved seating die aligns the bullet better than a standard die. Again, the Zediker book will make it all real for you.

I have only neck sized for one rifle, a custom barreled 264Win. The only reason I opted for neck sizing was the chamber of this rifle was cut so that the brass expanded to the point that F/L sizing was overworking the brass. If I tried to set the F/L sizer so that it wouldn't set the shoulder back very much the neck of the case wouldn't even be touched. Hence, my only option was to use a neck sizing die. However, after several firings I would have to use a F/L die because the cases would become difficult to close the bolt on. The only other option in this case would have been to use a "bump die" as a seperate step to move the shoulder back as far as needed to ensure proper chamber fit along with the neck sizing procedure. The great thing about neck sizing is no case lube is necessary for this step.

Advantages are that theoretically you get increased accuracy due to a custom fit to YOUR rifle chamber, increased brass life due to not overworking the amount of expansion on your brass, and that its typically easier to neck size only. Remember you must full length resize virgin brass before you neck size but you could also reuse factory fired cases. The process is known as 'fire-forming' the brass to your chamber. This will give a custom fit of the brass to your particular rifle and must not be used in any other rifle. The shoulder of the brass should be a perfect fit ,or close to, your chamber and will serveto provide increased accuracy with proper reloading technique. In answer to your question, yes there are special dies you can buy for this purpose alone such as Lee collet die, or a Redding bushing neck die which are more expensive. Also, after neck sizing a few times (3-5) you will find the cases begin to be very hard to chamber in your rifle, this is because, even though your case is fire-formed to your chamber it still expands,(but less and less each firing) so you will need to either use a 'FL' sizing die to bump the shoulder back slightly or a body die (such as Redding) which will bump the shoulder without touching the neck. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts