Necking up 6.5-284 brass

82bluestang

I am buliding my first rifle and want a straight .284 win. I am having problems finding brass. I know I can neck up 6.5-284 brass, I have never done that and do not know what is all involved with that. I ordered a set of rcbs .284 dies but I was wondering if I need to get a special die or fire form brass. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks Matt.

if you use a normal sizing die you will need a tapered ball or expander button on your decapping pin. They are usually carbide and can be done very easy. Or you can get an expander die and the 7mm expander to do it, either way works well. If you were turning brass then go the second option as you will need to expand then use a slightly smaller mandrel for turning.
One issue you may have is if your chamber was cut for the standard 284 and you use Norma or Lapau brass it may not work well, with clicking when lifting the bolt handle even with light loads. I had this happen to me when I had a LR 6.5x284, it was cut w/ the standard reamer and tried to use Lapau brass. As soon as I switch to Winchester brass no more issues.

I plan on using lapua if I can resize properly and not screw it up because it lasts. If I choose lapua brass can I have the chamber reamed a bit loose by a few thou or will that not work?

You would be better off asking the gunsmith if the reamer is set up for Lapau Brass or Winchester brass. There is no other way to make it loose other than having it off center and that is not good.

Thank you for the help I ordered a set of rcbs .284 win dies and a expander die also. If I use the expander die and then run it through the fl die will I still have to fire form or will the cartridge be where it needs to be? I will definetly talk to the gunsmith about the reamer. I am having a hard time deciding on a smith to boot. I like the tac 300 from stiller but I also like the pierce action and I will be able to go and see my build in progress if I go through pierce for my build .

I believe all new brass needs to be fireformed at least once to your chamber before optimum speed and accuracy can be had. The trick is to size the case just enough for your bolt to close (slight feel) without the firing pin installed. If you don't load hot it may take several firings before you feel the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.