necking up brass?

diderr

O.K. so here is the deal. It's time to get new brass for the ol' 300 WSM, and I can't find 300 WSM Norma brass anywhere. I found 270 WSM in stock, so would I be O.K. just necking up the 270 WSM brass? are they the same case dimensions?
Thanks,

Yes the same

According to the drawings in Nosler #6, the critical dememsions are the same. 1.664 inches to shoulder, 2.100 overall, and 0.538 diameter at the shoulder. The 7 mm WSM is 1.702 to shoulder for safety reasons...so it won't chamber in either of the other two.

According to the drawings in Nosler #6, the critical dememsions are the same. 1.664 inches to shoulder, 2.100 overall, and 0.538 diameter at the shoulder. The 7 mm WSM is 1.702 to shoulder for safety reasons...so it won't chamber in either of the other two.
so I can just neck up a 270 wsm, and it will work perfectly?

Should work

You should be able to neck the 270 WSM up to 308 and the body/ headspacing should be OK. Necking up may change overall lenght and neck wall thickness. I haven't done it so cann't tell you everything will be OK. You need to check. Both cases too long and necks too thick can be dangerous.

I'd bet if you trim them to length after necking up they will be fine. But don't bet your eyesight on my guess.

o.k i just placed an order for 100 300 wsm for sinclair. I figured out if I budgeted my money till next pay period i'll be o.k. I'm not going to lie, due to how long my bag of 50 lasted a bag of 100 will last me till the end of the year. I was looking on Midway, and it will be late August till they get more in stock!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts