Neck Tension _ Pulling Bullets

CaptnC

Unfortunately I'm not a great shot, getting much better, but shooting a target is tough. I do fine on steel. But when I have to put them in a spot I struggle. Plus my reloading skills are still getting better, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

So I can't really do any of the normal load work up methods.

I do use a Magnetospeed and look for low SD and ES. I'v read a number of threads that, that doesn't always translate into accuracy.

My latest build is (or should be) my most accurate rifle, so I've been doing the most work trying to develop an accurate load. Of course the 6.5-06 is not the best choice, but I wanted something that would I could get more than 3000fps, shooting high BC 130gr bullets.

Because of the lack of a lot of reloading data, I'm kind of working my way through it. I first tried Hybrid 100 V (picked this powder because it's very available where I am) and reached 3030fps, but I'm one full grain over Hodgdon load data. I have zero pressure signs-no sticky bolt lift, no sticky extraction, primers don't look any different than the max load. So from many years of reloading (since the late 70's) I should be able to continue to increase the powder charge.

But I order a big jug of Reloder 22 because it shows up more data so I can feel better about my powder charges.

Any way....when I have see I've not reached any pressure signs and the SD and ES are not what you want I have stopped wasting components, take everything home and pull bullets so I can can check powder charges and increase them as I was working my way up in powder charge.

So here is the question;
Should I resize the necks or just reseat the bullets and play on?

I have done one "test" where i checked the velocity of freshly sized brass and pulled bullet brass. The velocity was slightly faster, but the SD and ES were slightly higher.

Hybrid 100V 49.8 grains of powder.

Pulled bullet brass;
3031av FPS
SD 9
ES 22

Sized Brass
3026av FPS
SD 6
ES 15

I know it's not much of a difference, but I decided to remove the deprimer pin on a neck size die and resize the necks on pulled bullets....just in case...

Am I wasting my time?

You're right to resize necks after pulling. There may still be some variance in seating bullets. I would suggest you also lube the inside of the necks with Dry Imperial prior to seating.

I do use Imperial Dry Neck Lube, but never thought to touch up the necks after pulling them.

Never thought about not using them for load development, but I was curious if the velocity would change.

The above notes were with the Berger 130gr OTM...they are faster than than the Nosler 130gr RDF bullets.

I use a collet puller...got tired of the inertia puller messing up the tips of the bullets.

20200123_150951[1].jpeg

This steel was shot at 600yds...three consecutive shots...I know that's not up to most of your standard for accuracy but there is know I can shoot paper at half this distance...

Thanks guys for all the input...constantly learning!

I put foam in it a long time ago, but the powder gets stuck around it...so you can't really get a true charge weight check once the bullet is pulled.

Unfortunately I'm not a great shot, getting much better, but shooting a target is tough. I do fine on steel. But when I have to put them in a spot I struggle. Plus my reloading skills are still getting better, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

So I can't really do any of the normal load work up methods.

I do use a Magnetospeed and look for low SD and ES. I'v read a number of threads that, that doesn't always translate into accuracy.

My latest build is (or should be) my most accurate rifle, so I've been doing the most work trying to develop an accurate load. Of course the 6.5-06 is not the best choice, but I wanted something that would I could get more than 3000fps, shooting high BC 130gr bullets.

Because of the lack of a lot of reloading data, I'm kind of working my way through it. I first tried Hybrid 100 V (picked this powder because it's very available where I am) and reached 3030fps, but I'm one full grain over Hodgdon load data. I have zero pressure signs-no sticky bolt lift, no sticky extraction, primers don't look any different than the max load. So from many years of reloading (since the late 70's) I should be able to continue to increase the powder charge.

But I order a big jug of Reloder 22 because it shows up more data so I can feel better about my powder charges.

Any way....when I have see I've not reached any pressure signs and the SD and ES are not what you want I have stopped wasting components, take everything home and pull bullets so I can can check powder charges and increase them as I was working my way up in powder charge.

So here is the question;
Should I resize the necks or just reseat the bullets and play on?

I have done one "test" where i checked the velocity of freshly sized brass and pulled bullet brass. The velocity was slightly faster, but the SD and ES were slightly higher.

Hybrid 100V 49.8 grains of powder.

Pulled bullet brass;
3031av FPS
SD 9
ES 22

Sized Brass
3026av FPS
SD 6
ES 15

I know it's not much of a difference, but I decided to remove the deprimer pin on a neck size die and resize the necks on pulled bullets....just in case...

Am I wasting my time?
In my opinion absolutely not that is exactly what I would do

Also you could try a grip and pull they don't damage your bullets although I like them some people do not
FA32C79A-351F-4C92-8383-BF73DAF34332.jpeg

When i.pull bullets I like to re-weigh the charge...checking for charge weight accuracy. I've been very pleased with what I've been seeing.

Earlier this week I pulled 16 bullets...3 were +.1 all rest were spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.