Neck tension

BrentM

Do any of you play with it or set it and tweak the loads? One of my rifles seems to really like .004-.005. Test load shown.
IMG_2561.png
It got me side tracked because I usually target .002ish and leave it for all rifles.

I've started to use 4.
After spring back I'm thinking 3.5 net

Brings me back to neck turning again, I dont do it yet. But it would have to contribute to consistency when manipulating the OD and ID.
And i'm annealing after each firing now.
Yes I agree. I used to turn all my necks period. Got away from it using mandrels but think I'm going to do it again even using a mandrel. It's easy and makes everything concentric

I've seen reports of guys having success with .004. I think it's the same thing you sometimes see when using a light taper crimp. I would say you will need more data points. 4 shots is not a big sample size.
Ageeed. I did test with lesser tension and it's not even close to that. Just got my little brain to thinking.

If you change neck interference, (tension), do you need to re-tune the load to see if it made a difference?
If I had a max load near the lands I might back it off a little. My belief is that a light crimp from say a lee factory crimp or a little extra tension gives a more consistent bullet release and can increase pressure slightly. I also think a little more tension can help if your neck thickness has some variation. Of course I could full of bull too haha.

I've started using bushings & mandrels. I keep a consistent .002" NT, and have been happy with the results. Seating pressure is noticeably more consistent since I started with the mandrels.

Only Hammer bullets get more NT, around .004". I've had better results with Hammers without crimping. Hammer shooters should try both (with & without). You could be surprised.