Neck sizing

why would you want to neck down a 338 win mag to a 30 cal when all you got to do is buy 300 win mag brass. because thats what it would be.

See, the way I read it, he owns a 30-338 and some surplus 338 brass and wants to use the brass without buying a necking die? LB

I have a 30-338 win mag,wich in turn is a necked up 7mm mag or a necked down 338 mag.My delimma is i used 7mm necked up because i had 7mm brass,i have never turned the necks or length cut them and the brass is still to small,i can't neck fit them to my gun,or length them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7mm win mag and the 300 win mag the same length case? If so that would explain why just neck sizing isn't working - the 338 win mag case is shorter - so a 7mm case is too long and won't fit in the chamber.

.264WM, 7mmRem Mag, 338WM are all essentially the same case... all shorter than the 300WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.