Neck Sizing

Ah yes -- the old "full length or neck only" question. You've come to the right place to hear a lot of opinions.

Starting out with the lowest possible investment is good in my estimation, especially if your wife is wondering why this new-found hobby is costing so much. So here's my take on it:

A Lee press is probably not the place to start, but it will do for now. I used one long ago, and I found it looser and sloppier than more expensive ones. So think about each equipment purchase as "best possible for tightness of fitment and intended length of service."

As for neck sizing, there are two things (at least) that you are correcting for when sizing: returning the neck to its original size and shape, and returning the case to its original length. Each firing (and you did not say now often you shoot your brass) will slightly expand the brass. If you take a fired case and try to load it in an empty chamber, you will note that it (probably) goes it with more resistance than when new. That's because the dimensions have changed a little. If you have a micrometer you can measure this.

Dimensions of the neck are important for the grip on the bullet when the rifle goes off. If this is consistent, you'll have better repeatability.

Dimensions of the case shoulder (base to a datum line on the shoulder) will gradually get longer over repeated firings of a case. This is not affected by neck sizing. As an aside -- what is the datum line? It is a point on the shoulder that you can use to measure the case length with repeatability. People have measuring tools that allow you to measure this fairly accurately -- the Lock N Load by Hornady is probably the most common. You need a micrometer to use this tool.

If you have enough brass that you are only firing each piece two or three times, the shoulder bump is probably less important. If you are planning to shoot your brass until the primer pocket gets too large to hold a primer, you will want to full length resize, or at least find some way to "bump" the shoulder back about .002". You can do this with a full length resizing die or a shoulder bump die. In any case, you will probably want a case length comparator (Hornady LNL) and a micrometer to be able to do this repeatably.

Enjoy your new hobby!
Thank you kindly. I have already picked up the Hornady OAL gauge, Bullet Comparator and .375 bushing for headspace comparison. I have a trusty old Sterrett caliper from my machining days, so I'm well positioned to take accurate measurements seriously. I was able to eliminate most of the play in the Lee press linkage, so now I wait for the dies and get started.

I'll probably only shoot 100 rounds a year, but that will likely change as my interest in testing and refining loads grows. I have about 100 pieces of brass and another 100 rounds of factory, so I should be good on brass for awhile.

Cheers.

With the Hornady gauge and the Starrett caliper, you're well on your way to knowing whether or not your brass is "growing". And having eliminated the play in the Lee linkage, you're one more step on the way. I think you'll do fine. Don't forget to read some reloading manuals -- lots of good advice in them!

This is not benchrest.

5da264347eab04e575efa4f19991136b.jpg

Yes, it's primarily for hunting but I also want to try and get some practice at hitting longer distances. I've only shot out to about 400 so far. I recognize the 06 isn't the best for this and am looking at acquiring a long range rifle chambered for a more suitable cartridge next season.
NOW you're talking like one of us, and about to get sucked down the rabbit hole of reloading, and long range shooting and hunting.🤑
Welcome.

Yes, it's primarily for hunting but I also want to try and get some practice at hitting longer distances. I've only shot out to about 400 so far. I recognize the 06 isn't the best for this and am looking at acquiring a long range rifle chambered for a more suitable cartridge next season.
I wouldn't worry about the 30-06. When loaded right it's a very capable long range round. 400 is nothing for it, I have one I'd shoot to 800 without a thought on a deer. Modern powder and modern bullets has helped keep the 06 alive, although I admit there are better cartridges out there the 30-06 is extremely capable.

I wouldn't worry about the 30-06. When loaded right it's a very capable long range round. 400 is nothing for it, I have one I'd shoot to 800 without a thought on a deer. Modern powder and modern bullets has helped keep the 06 alive, although I admit there are better cartridges out there the 30-06 is extremely capable.
X2

Well folks, finally got everything I needed to start reloading. Today I put together 5 rounds and it took me almost 3 hours (lol) as I had to stop and read periodically. My big mistake was pulling the expander out of the FL die forgetting its purpose was for more than decapping (done prior). I was banging my head wondering why my base to datum length had increased by .005 rather than pushing the shoulders back. Fiddled around forever until I realized my mistake.

Anyway, put those cases aside and started again. Got into a rhythm and after measuring my CBTO it was onto seating with no issues. Chambers beautifully. Looking forward to getting outside for testing and working up from there.

30-06
Winchester brass (saving better brass for hotter loads)
168gr Barnes TTSX
Federal 210 primers
Hybrid 100v powder, 42.9gr
Bullet seated to .020 from lands

Even with using basic Lee dies, there is only a maximum of .002 variation in seating depth and COL. Something I can get dialed in with more practice.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and pointers.