NE Washington Elk????

Shaidon

I have lived in WA my whole life and have done plenty of deer hunting but now I have gotten a wild hair to try and find some elk. Im looking for some help on finding a place to start looking in NE Washington. I would really appreciate any info as I would like to start scouting soon and try to see some elk. Thanks

Where do you live now and why look for elk in the NE corner of the state?

There's some prime whitetails up there and also moose with a few elk but I'd think that you'd have better luck in other parts of the state if you're looking for your first elk hunt.

I live in Spokane so NE WA is the closest area that has some elk. I hunt mulies in the blues and have seen some huge bulls down there but have not gotten lucky enough to draw a branched antler tag. So that's pretty much my only options. Im just not really familiar with and of the Pend Orielle county area so I don't even know where to start.

Lots of elk in the Colockum between Ellensburg and Wenatchee. Branched antler is nice if you get lucky and draw but a spike sure eats nice.:)

There is big bulls in the Medalline falls area. Just get a topo map and start looking for holes and drainages with water that have north east facing ridges and little road access. I've seen giants but they are scarce. There is also big brown furry things up there so watch out. I have a few on a trail cam. Sullivan lake area is a place to start. Head up the road that goes to Priest and explore the salmo region. I don't live or hunt in Washington but nobody goes up there during the summer like the North fork of the Cda so I spend time in the area, mostly shooting ground squirels and looking at elk and mule deer. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I have heard alot of people talking about the Sullivan/Metaline/Salmo Priest areas. I have gone up there a couple of times and it is extremely thick! Is that all there is to hunt in is the thick stuff, I dont even know where to start when hunting that stuff. I have a lot to learn about elk hunting, I have never done any elk hunting before.

Yes it is very thick. It's not the most enjoyable elk hunting but alot of N. Idaho is the same way. The elk don't stand out in the meadows in the morning and evening anymore like thaty did 15 years ago. Just have patience and maybe invest in a trail cam right before bow season and move it around in drainages until you see some sign. I find the elk in that area tend to be in the 4000' elevation during rifle season. Also as thick as it is, the elk don't really like it anymore than we do. Ther is old grown in logging roads they use to travel look for ones that aren't completely overgrown with alders that are close to water and take a hike. You are bound to run into them sometime. If you take the pass road that goes over to Priest from Sullivan right at the border on some sharp corners you can see a few non accounted for on map trails that head up some open stuff. I have seen lot's of elk about 3-4 miles from there. Also look into the Salmo loop trail. that's a good starting point. It's about 8 miles to the end but you can hunt every drainage off the divide, just pack a tent, light bag and the rest of you gear in and set up a spike camp. Do some scouting earlier in the year and if you find elk, start hauling in supplies and hide or bury them(especially water). Just get in the best shape you can and hope for the best. I don't use them but horses or mules would be helpful. If all else fails, cough the $600.00 bucks for and idaho tag like most of Spokane does and go hunt up the north fork of the cda of joe and see the trailer park like camps. Typically in these areas peopled push elk herds from one camp to the next until eventually someone get's a shot. I backpack hunt to stay away from this and have been way more succesful. Once again, good luck! If you have anymore ?'s on the medalline/Priest area don't hesitate to ask, I will give the best info I can. Good day.

Thank you very much for all the info, it is a big help. I feel like Im having to learn how to hunt all over again. A couple more questions for you. Are the bull pretty much by themselves during rifle season, even away from the cows? Can I count on the bulls being in the same general areas I find them in the summer or pre-rifle season, or do they move out? Im into hiking and spike camps so that is why I looked into this area since there is a wilderness area. I hate hunting areas and running into more people then animals. Now hopefully my .375 Ruger is done in time for Elk season, I would hate to have to pack around the .338 Edge in that stuff Well that is all I can think of this minute but Im sure I will have more ?'s for you. Thanks again!

If you are asking about the Grott rd/loon lake area. The elk act more like whitetails. I've never seen more than 2-3 elk in a group. there are areas were the egde would work good.

Ya, I have been into the Loon Lake/Scoop MT/Grote rd area hundreds of times but still have not seen any elk. I know they are in there, I have seen tracks and have friends who have seen them, just not me. It seems like they disappear during hunting season. I have heard people say the travel back and forth between there and the res. Any certain area you have seen them in during or around hunting season?

The place to look is on the west side. from forty mile canyon,north to hiden rd. almost all the people in that area don't get out of their truck. If your in there find Crazy Jake

I too have hunted Loon Lake and have seen elk about ten years ago. I know they travel throught and but like you said only 2-4 at a time. I'm sure I know you if you know Crazy Jake. That is too funny. Shaidon is my number 1 hunting bud and we need a elk spot! thanks for all the info fellas. Keep it coming.

The funny thing is that Jake isn't his real name, but I've never heard him called anything else. On a side note there is a shoot @ Spokane Rifle Club on 07-25. We will be shoting 200-300 and 600 yards. cost is $10. start time is 7:30. you will need 50-60 rounds. NO 50CAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.