washington elk hunting

Im just looking for places to scout this year and will put in for either east and west. I plan on putting in for both hunts while I live in washington.

I'd suggest going east but a lot of the quality tags take 7-10 years minimum to draw. Just look in the regs at which units take a lot of points to be selected and that pretty much sums it up. There are lots of good elk in other units too though.

Good suggestion to start putting in now. Im a WA resident, and I think they mismanage the Elk here big time. The elk population can definitely support more tags being allotted. There is great hunting down around Rainier if you don't mind getting wet, and on the Eastside you gotta ask your self what type of terrain you want to hunt. Your options could range from steep to really F'n steep. If you are out for a long range poke at something, the Blues might offer you that opportunity. Some of the more central cascade hunts can be in pretty thick wooded areas.

Just remember that if you hunt modern rifle you get 9 days to hunt. In Wa. it is a sprint race to hunt, not a marathon like other states. The blues are spike only unless you draw a tag and the really big bulls are starting to get hard to find.

ill be looking around mt rainier and the olympic national forest. im looking at getting a 338 wm as well.
thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.