Elk hunting @ 16ft

Nice elk and appropriate for the Long Range Hunting Forum. LOL What capstan winch do you recommend? I'm only interested in a 12 volt portable system I can move to and use on truck and UTV.
image.jpg
I use this little guy, it weighs 35lbs. It's slow but works. I bought this one for if I have to put it on my backpack. If you don't want it as mobile there are many options out there that are more power and faster.

Not being a Utah resident anymore, I can't put in for a CWMU. But, I can pay to do it.
Is this one worth giving a try for?
Not being a Utah resident anymore, I can't put in for a CWMU. But, I can pay to do it.
Is this one worth giving a try for?

I have hunted this one a few times, it still has its up and downs. There are still plenty of hunters that I have to negotiate around and hunt harder but it's still better than general season spike.

Awesome big 5pt, that's a cool bull! I can't believe that bullet held up that well, did Nosler change something with these along the way? Thought guys were getting core separation and blowups w these early on.

Not sure this was first animal with this bullet. I still can't believe it didn't blow through? 3200+ FPS

That's the reason (among many others) that I use Barnes exclusively. I never know if my shots will be measured in several feet or many hundreds of yards. From muzzle to 700 "ish", from any angle....I'm comfortable with my bullet! memtb

View attachment 153151 View attachment 153150 I had the custom 28 Nosler ready for that long range shot and ended up 16ft when I sent the 175grain Nosler LRAB. It went in the base of neck broadside and found under skin. I was by myself hunting and was able to get it back whole thanks to my capstan winch.
I hope to hunt the CWMU again next year. Utah.

Great shooting....I have witnessed similar performance at short range....my question that I kant wrap my head around...with that bullet speed and energy wat stoppedit...??? The animal absorbed tonnage of energy,should have been driven 20 ft...why not...
Bill larson..

View attachment 153221 I use this little guy, it weighs 35lbs. It's slow but works. I bought this one for if I have to put it on my backpack. If you don't want it as mobile there are many options out there that are more power and faster.

Thanks. I know Hondas are super reliable, but I was hoping there was a good 12 volt system I could just plug into my vehicles' towing electrical connections and not worry about gasoline, weight, etc.

Great shooting....I have witnessed similar performance at short range....my question that I kant wrap my head around...with that bullet speed and energy wat stoppedit...??? The animal absorbed tonnage of energy,should have been driven 20 ft...why not...
Bill larson..

I believe Sickbuild was pushed backwards an equal distance due to recoil and running backwards shooting over his shoulder due to elk being so close thus reducing muzzle velocity.

Not sure this was first animal with this bullet. I still can't believe it didn't blow through? 3200+ FPS

I know it doesn't totally make sense but it does seem the super high impact velocities get stopped sooner compared to the slower ones. Some of it is the construction of the bullet the other part is water/muscle tissue displacement. Faster the impact the more it resists

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.