My smallest 3 shot group

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
I was out testing some rifles a few weeks ago and had to rezero my 260 Rem after loaning it out. I grabbed the rifle up and with 200+ rounds through it without cleaning fired this 3 shot group at 100 yards. This is officially my best 3 shot group at 100 yards. While I was pleased with this I was not suprised too much as this is the same rifle I had shot a .287" 3 shot group with at 300 yards with a few years ago and won the USPSA Precision Rifle Nationals with a while back. As you can see it might actually measure a little smaller but I like to error to the side of caution. My whole point is not about how cool my rifle was that day but to talk about confidence. I have not changed the zero in years and wouldn't have except for loaning it out. I know I can count on it to shoot the same speed, same group, and same drop no matter what, cleaned, fouled, couple of hundred rounds since the last cleaning etc. I love my 338 Edges but this is the last rifle I would part with.

260GROUP.JPG

nice, very nice.that just got me thinking though, even if all the bullets went through one hole the group size would still be bigger than a clover leafed group with a .17 fr example. so how would you compare the two??

Shawn,
Absolutely fantastic group! I know what you're talking about with building of the confidence. When you crawl behind that rifle you know exactly what it's going to do each and everytime. In you mind, it's steady and consistent and so are you. Good job. JohnnyK.

Lucas,

The load I use in mine is a 140 gr. Amax, CCI BR2, H4350 43.0 gr. OAL 2.850" 2820 fps.

Foreign,

Groups in competition are measured from center to center, the above one is .333" outside - .264" bullet diameter gives you a center to center of .069". For your 17 to equal this it would need to be .246" on the outside or smaller. If your 17 "clover leaf group was edge to edge exactly, it would measure some where around .170-.180" center to center or almost twice as big.

Very nice Shawn!

There is a lot to be said about having confidence in your equipment. I've had rifles that did not give me any confidence and it showed in my shooting. Needless to say they were replaced.

I've also found that my rifles shoot better when they are dirty.........a least to a point. I've found that I seem to get the best accuracy out of them when they've had 100 to 200 rounds shot through them. After 200 to 300 rounds, then the accuracy starts to drop off and I clean them.

One of these days I'm going to have you build me a .260. My .338 that you built for me, is still my most favorite!!

Devin

Great shooting

I cant recall that I have ever shot a zero 5 shot group with anything other than a 6PPC and cant recall but one 3 shot zero group with a hunting or tactical rilfe......that load is working and so is your technique. Maybe you should get a PPC and some brown socks and head to a BR match:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.