My Season.....6 shots 6 Dead

MagMan

Sometime in July I received my APS 338 Edge from Kirby and have been busy figuring my exbal corrections and shooting multiple times a week. But that is nothing new.

After feeling very confident about my setup along comes our firearm deer season. Management tags in hand I hoped it would be an extraordinarily bloody year.

I was able to harvest 6 deer with 6 bullets, none of which are anything to brag about but this was more practical field practice than anything.

Shot distances on said 6 deer were 80, 345, 402, 475, 515 and my new personal best of 993 yards.

Two of the six deer (80yd and 993yd) were the only ones that were hit and did not move. The other four were recovered within 60-70 yards, these were also the ones that were hit squarely in the heart/lung area with no shoulder interference. Exit holes were noticeably larger than a golf ball and was what I was hoping for.

Anyway hear is a picture of my 993 yard deer.......now before you start laughing remember those smaller ones are tougher to hit.

She walked out early Saturday night and I couldn't resist. It seemed like that night was the only windless and moderately warm night we've had in a while.

I knew what the range was as she was 15 yards from my 1008 yard plate so there wasn't any need for the range finder, dialed my elevation and squeezed. I was able to get back on target and immediately thought I had missed only to see her drop in her tracks.

The 300 grain SMK entered mid height in front of the onside shoulder and exited through the offside shoulder socket as she was quartering to me.

11-29-08993yds.jpg

Last edited:
I am impressed. I agree those small ones are even harder to hit. They are good eating too. Nice job!!!!

Snow! You had SNOW!!!!ge(ge(

That kind of success has gotta make ya feel good.......

Thanks for posting the post hit actions of the deer. Interesting......

Snow! You had SNOW!!!!

The snow I have on my deck is 2' deep already. About half of the snow on the ground has melted which still leaves us with a foot or so.

I had a very good year and to top it off my father was spotting for all but the last one. However I had 4 people see that one drop. We tried to get them on video but apparently the camera doesn't like the cold weather. It would replay the footage immediately after filming but when I went inside and plugged it into the TV it was gone. Not really sure what the deal is.

I recovered a bullet from the 345 deer and was quite impressed as it almost looks like an X bullet though the core separated (not surprising).

I was fortunate enough not to have had to drag any of them. We just drove through the fields and picked them up.

Wow!
That is all you can ask for, 6 for 6 clean kills at some impressive yardages and one awesome long shot. Congratulations!

Sam

Thanks for the comments.

DUH, I wanted to but it didn't work out. There is always next year.

This is the picture of the 345 yard bullet after blowing through the lungs and resting in the snow.
IMG_3336.jpg

Roy if you want I'll send you some extra snow:D. We've been getting hammered. I can't remember the last time we had 28" of snow in early December. Seems like its been snowing steady for the last month.
IMG_3338.jpg

I'm shoveling the deck for the first time and I'm not happy about it.:D

WTG that is some good shooting......I think you sent some of that snow down South. We are expecting one to three inches in MS tonight:)

Good shootin!

He, he, my yard is all white, I live just south of Houston, TX, we have probably an inch on the ground right now, I should go hunting tomorrow, huh!

eddybo, When you see Don please let him know the 6mm shoots great and not to be in any fear of it coming back. One of my friends has been bitten by the LR bug and surely things are going to fall at the hands of that 40X.

As for the snow......Ha Ha (in my best Nelson voice).:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts