My next long range rifle?

smokin502

Just recently got into long range shooting, around 1200 yds or so. I enjoyed it so much I'm looking for a rifle that will get me out to 1500 yds, but won't kill me when firing it with the cost of rounds. The 338 LM is out, too much for rounds. I'm looking at
either a 300 wm, or 300 rum. Thanks any for any help.

P.S. my first thread!

smokin502,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I agree with ICANHITHIMMAN ... in addition to what was noted, also the ability to measure the wind and distance (and other environmental factors) accurately. gun)

Good luck and happy safe shooting!

A .338 EDGE does not cost much more per round to load, but your barrel life will increase considerably. Also hits on steel at long range are more impressive. The only difference in the cost of the rifle is the muzzle brake. I needed one on the EDGE barrel shooting 300 grainers but not on the .300 RUM . Gary Campbell

I was thinking about the 300 rum, but read on this site that I would need to re-barrel the rifle around 700-800 rounds. I would muzzle brake any rifle I get just to make it more enjoyable to shoot for longer amount of time. I was told the same thing about my 270 wthyb. The guy that mounted my scope told me I would shoot out the barrel and I that I made bad choice going with this gun. Made me feel pretty bad for buying it. Its held up just fine. Had it looked at and at the local gunsmith place and they said it was OK.

The 338 Edge is a custom "wildcat" cartridge BUT, factory ammo is offered by Applied Ballistics. You get a choice of 300grn Berger or 250grn Berger:

Products

You have a point about the short bbl life of the 300RUM, fact of life: If you want to play, you will have to pay. The 338's will offer substantially longer bbl life; how many 338 cartridges can one purchase at the cost of a new 300RUM bbl?:rolleyes:

I would expect a legit bbl life of 1k rnds from the RUM if you mind your manners, keep it clean & don't shoot it hot. One of our senior members (Broz) has well over 1k rnds through his 338 Lapua & it is still going strong.

smokin502, The best advice I can give you is to learn how to reload. You would be extremely lucky to find commercial ammunition that will match your rifle and perform as well at long range as good handloads. Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge sells a very good long range reloading video. Even though reloading is more labor intensive than buying factory ammo, it will save you money in the long run,you will learn a lot, you will get a lot of self satisfaction, and the overall shooting experience will be much more enjoyable. The .338 EDGE is a wildcat round, but loaded ammo is available from Applied Ballistics or Gunwerks. Gary Campbell

What kind of gun do you have now that took you out too 1200 yards and what kind of ammunition are you using? if you dont reload then the 338. edge is out of the question but the 338 RUM isn't. You wont get the bullets you will need to optimize the performance so i wouldn't lean towards that option. I would get a 300 rum or 300 win mag.

Look into reloading cause almost every factory if not every factory ammunition doesn't have what it takes to get you out too 1000 +. What kind of rifle are you looking into getting?

You might want to take a look at the 280 or 280AI. It will push the 180's just as fast as a 7mag and do it with less powder. The 180 has a high BC and will get you to 1400 pretty easily. This will accomplish your goals and be allot more economical than any 300.

You might want to take a look at the 280 or 280AI. It will push the 180's just as fast as a 7mag and do it with less powder. The 180 has a high BC and will get you to 1400 pretty easily. This will accomplish your goals and be allot more economical than any 300.
Impossible at the same safe SAAMI spec maximum peak pressure and barrel length for each one. Period.

The .300 Win. Mag.'s probably the best choice. Especially if you don't reload.

Having recently been made privy to some intersting tests conducted by military snipers and other long range experts evaluating different rounds for US military use, the .300 Win. Mag. outshot the .338 Lapua Mag in the accuracy tests at all ranges through 1500 yards.

Note that accuracy with shoulder fired rifles drops off as recoil increases. It's the recoil while the bullet's going down the barrel that moves the rifle a bit off its point of aim when the firing pin strikes the primer that degrades accuracy. Recoil after the bullet's left doesn't matter. Which is why milder recoiling rifles are easier to shoot accurately when held by us humans. And this is one of the main reasons why the .300 Win. Mag. out performed the .338's in those tests.

Impossible at the same safe SAAMI spec maximum peak pressure and barrel length for each one. Period.

I meant .284 not 280. Should be easy to get 2900 out of a 26" tube with the 180's. Mute point thogh if he doesn't reload. a 300WM and Federal fgmm with the 190 smk's is probably your best option.

All loads used neck-turned, Winchester-headstamp .284 brass, CCI BR-2 primers, and naked (non-moly) Berger 180gr VLD bullets seated .010" in the lands:
51 gr RL 17 - Mean Velocity 2881 fps, ES 17, SD 7 - No pressure issues at all
52 gr RL 17 - Mean Velocity 2953 fps, ES 19, SD 7 - No pressure issues at all
53 gr RL 17 - Mean Velocity 3003 fps, ES 25, SD 10 (Slight sticky bolt lift on 3 rounds - this is about top end for my liking but I would not hesitate to shoot it however if it turns out to deliver good accuracy). Big Speed Gain with Reloder 17 in .284 Win
RL 17 clearly enables me to run the Berger 180s easily 125-150 fps faster that I normally was able to shoot them with H4350 and H4831SC in this rifle. My previous load ran around 2825 - 2850 fps with the Berger 180s and that was about all I could get out of it

I meant .284 not 280. Should be easy to get 2900 out of a 26" tube with the 180's.
Still impossible with safe ammo.

The .284 case has less capacity than the 7 Rem. Mag and the .280. And SAAMI set it's peak safe pressure at 56,000 psi compared to 61,000 psi for the 7 Rem Mag because of case design. The .280's safe peak pressure's 60,000 psi.

Any bullet with any powder can be shot faster in the 7 Rem. Mag. than the .284 with peak pressure at specs.

'Course if one breaks the safety rules, anything's possible. . . .until something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.