My next long range rifle?

Bart B,

I was curious if you could point me in the direction of those military tests you mentioned with the .300 Win. Mag. and .338 Lapua. I'd like to read that.

Bart B, I was curious if you could point me in the direction of those military tests you mentioned with the .300 Win. Mag. and .338 Lapua. I'd like to read that.
There's no internet link to that information that I know of.....yet. 'Twas part of a private email from a friend (former USN SEAL, now Commander, USN, Retired who almost was awarded the Medal of Honor but instead got the Navy Cross for his actions in Viet Nam). When on active duty, he was Officer in Charge of the USN Rifle Team as well as head of some SEAL Team organizations. He gave no details but in general just stated the .300 Win. Mag. performed better as shot by people shooting rifles in the prone position at ranges up through 1500 yards compared to the .338 Lapua Mag. The .300 had a higher percentage of first shot and successive hits on targets. He got that information from some other active duty folks. That was nothing more than what I mentioned. I trust what he said as reality. And having shot enough 30 caliber magnums in long range matches, I well know that the more recoil a rifle has, the harder it is to shoot accurately. Doesn't matter how accurate it shoots from an accuracy cradle or machine rest that's 100% repeatable from shot to shot. Us humans just ain't all that repeatable holding and shooting a rifle from our shoulders.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.