My new Sako 42

oliver

Got my new Sako TRG 42 from eurooptics yesterday and love the rifle and the service I got, but unfortunately, the scope mount fell apart after 3 shots. I mounted my Zeis Hendshold 6-24 x 72 and the first three shots were very close to where I wanted them to be after laser bore sighting. Unfortunately after that, things went bad. Shots were hitting randomly at least 4-6" at 100 yrds from where I wanted to be. I thought I had a bad batch of ammo and after 30 rounds, I gave up and went home. As I took it out of the truck and put it on my bench to clean, noticed the scope was rattling back and forth. Turns out that all 4 screws from the Talley Tactical alloy rail were stripped out. Base was totally loose. I did place an order for the Sako rail since I really wanted to go hunting with this gun this weekend, but from looking at it online, it does not impress me. Stayed up late last night looking for something I can use this weekend and saw the Near Mfg base and 34mm Alfamount. I spoke with Richard and despite being in Canada, looks like I am going to receive them both tomorrow or Friday to save my hunting trip. Will send pics and feedback on the quality. Please give me some feedback on this product - looks very good so far based on pictures and feedback online. BTW this is my first post on this forum and hope to get some feedback. I am not a professional shooter by any means, but really enjoy it as a hobby and would like to get a little more involved on this site. I have been lurking for a few years.

Yes that is a excellent set up. Why the stripped screws on first one,who mounted. Like anything it needs to be done proper and most mounts ,rings etc. Will give torque specs which are important.

Got the Near rail and scope mount today. Unbelievable service from Canada in less than 24 hrs! It is exponentially more robust than the Sako mount. Very impressed!!

Attachments

• Sako-338Lapua-Zeiss72mm.jpg
    Sako-338Lapua-Zeiss72mm.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 59
Got the Near rail and scope mount today. Unbelievable service from Canada in less than 24 hrs! It is exponentially more robust than the Sako mount. Very impressed!!

I've got an alphamount on my TRG-S.. which I also had run into problems with using sakos set-up. Screws were stripping in the front bases from re-coil* (same story as you it sounds like) I used mine through this past hunting season, strapped to my backpack for a week, up & down mountains, as well as in & out of saddle scabbards/horseback... I won't put anything-but his stuff on my rifles from here on in. Well worth the money and very high quality. You'll like it*

resizerig.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.