My new custom 260

What made you decide to build a 260? Did you get a better load developed? I'm also thinking about building a 260

Congrats. Thats a great looking rifle. Jim does amazing work.

Currently Jim is building a 260 for me too. I cannot wait for January so I can get it.

Have fun with it!!

What made you decide to build a 260? Did you get a better load developed? I'm also thinking about building a 260

in 260 in my option if its a 1-8 twist some h4350 and a 140 amax is a great hunting round. my 260 is my everything smaller than mule deer rifle. if i went for mulies i would probably take my 300wby and leave the 260 at home. not that the 260 wont do it but i think a 6.5 is a little on the small side for a animal that large

I had/have a 308 and like the short action. I wanted less recoil for playing at the range, I wanted less wind drift and drop to learn the long range game (although some might say learning with a 308 will make you better), and I wanted something that had factory ammo available and was easy to reload for, as I'm learning that, too. Zak Smith's articles played a large part in my decision, too.

I haven't load developed yet. I'm shooting the factory ammo I had for it right now. I can't seem to get better than about .7 MOA, and I really think the rifle is capable of better. I'm not convinced I am, which is frustrating in and of itself. I'll start with a ladder test in the next couple weeks using Norma brass and 140 SMKs.

I've got no regrets so far on the build, the components, or the choice of Jim See. Now I just gotta learn to drive the thing. :D

Last edited:
it would depend alot on gun wieght. i will a say at 250 from prone i am close enough to being back on target to see bullet sttrikes. my gun is a fairly heavy gun. i weightd it at some time and think it came in around 12 lbs

Looking at numbers alone, the 260 with 140s has 57% less free recoil energy than the 308 with 168s. BUT... the 308 has a pencil barrel, light plastic factory stock, no recoil pad to speak of, and a light 3-9x40 scope. The 260 has a heavier barrel, heavier stock, heavier scope, and nice recoil pad.

The important (subjective) result for me was that I can comfortably shoot my 260 at the range all afternoon and my 308 I could not.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.