My new 270wsm build

carpetman2

Built from a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 short action, I had Diamond T Gunsmithing put a finished 26" Brux #4 Stainless in 1-8 twist, with a Muscle Brake from Ken and had Shawn drill 3 holes on top to help with muzzle jump. I put it in a new Stocky's thumbhole laminate and had it bedded. It has less felt recoil than my AR15 with nearly zero jump. It's my first build and I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 192
Here is my first load, but ended up the powder is too fast for the 165 gr Matrix and I was piercing primers. I am working up loads now with Retumbo and maybe trying H1000 and RL33 soon.

Attachments

• New iphone chris 016.jpg
    New iphone chris 016.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 143
Very nice looking and Shooting rifle. I like your choice of barrel length and the brake. I have same brake on my 338 WM Savage and it's a Godsend for my nerve damaged shoulder. I want to put 1:8 26" on my Abolt 270 wsm and a M24 style stock.. If I ever finish the 19,000 other gun projects and hunting stuff I have to do. :rolleyes:

Gene

BignGreen, what primers do you find work best? I am working on a load currently and tried the Fed215M, CCI LR Mag, and Winchester LR Mag which actually seems to work the best so far. Using 65.6 gr Retumbo and the Win. Mag primers I am getting an ave (24 rounds) of 3038fps @ 1300 feet elevation and ES 35 and SD13 (I believe). That has me getting 3/4 - 1 inch groups. I am going to try a few things to tighten up the groups including going on up in powder. 66 doesn't have any pressure signs but didn't give me the group sizes I got from 65.6. Also, do you find the Matrix finicky on seating depth?

Fed 210 or 215 tend to be what I find does the best. I don't find the Matrix finicky for seating, generally in the area of .020-.030 of the lands is where I run them.

BignGreen, does this sound about right with your experience. I am running 65.6 gr. Retumbo with the 165 Matrix and getting an average of 3038 fps out of a 26" tube and a brake? Seems to be keeping MOA to 850 yards. I am still tuning this load.

Well here is a picture of my first kill with this new rig. I will follow up on a different thread about performance etc.. hopefully with some pics.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 94
BignGreen, does this sound about right with your experience. I am running 65.6 gr. Retumbo with the 165 Matrix and getting an average of 3038 fps out of a 26" tube and a brake? Seems to be keeping MOA to 850 yards. I am still tuning this load.

A little late but ya that's sounding good, each barrel has some swing to it, I've seen 66 gr of Retumbo run 2990-3060 fps.

Well done sir!

I built down the same path. Vanguard, Timney, Pac-Nor 28" 3L, 300WSM. Boyds Feather wieght thumbhole.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.