My First Wildcat

bjlooper

I just got a call that my 257STW is ready. I can't wait to to to get it up and running. This is my first wildcat, and it is also my return to reloading after a 10 yr break (not much extra time in Med school and residency for sleep much less loading and shooting.}

Is their a good refernce book that covers technique of case prep and forming, load development, accuracy (ie what is a ladder test)and tools.

My gunsmith got me a set of redding S-type dies. I have a old lyman turret press and beam scale, but I think i'm going to get a foster press and a digital scale.

Any sugestions that will help me get accurate precission runds are welcome. Speed is not impotant.
Thanks

If spped was not important you would not have a 257STW!
You ought to check out and see what brass is avail and decent.
Next check and see how much room you have for the brass and die in your press, the stw is long. Almost any reloading manual has info on prep and load development but it can all be had on the internet for free. There are articles all over on case prep. Try and of the benchrest sites for articles. You dont have to go overboard with tools to have a fairly accurate rifle, because you could easily spend $1K in tools with all the stuff that is out there. So get a few case prep articles anf go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts