My First Time

ButterBean

I've read about it, heard about it and raised an eyebrow about it but it happened to me today. I've shot all kinds of brass but never any Nosler Brass, I got a box of 50 new from the classifieds for my 270 ( My Coyote hunting rig ) and when they got here they looked really nice, I'm a fanatic brass prep guy but I'm telling ya "they looked really nice"and it said rite on the box "Ready to Load" ;) so I thought what the heck, I had a couple of powders in mind so I loaded up a few and they showed promise all but one( Staball 6.5 which I have tried in several combinations and have since set fire to it in the backyard this evening so I'll waste no more time on it, it smelled good and went up real nice and I feel much better now ) anyhoo there set Varget so I thought "Why Not" as it shoots in everthing else,so I loaded stout a book load with no brass prep other than primer, powder,bullet and a light crimp. It shot an SD of 6 and ES of 12 and it put them in a really good group with the wind that I have this evening.
9B188D98-9513-4C08-9BB3-859FE0145C4E.jpeg
2601A0E9-1800-46DC-8912-F1B126BE6622.jpeg
67ACF6A1-DCC1-4C23-86F3-8B4FC4394186.jpeg

Last edited:
Varget is one I should spend more time with myself, I've always seemed to hit a powder that did better but the use of it is heavy in the case size family I use. Will continue to try it with each load work-up none the less. Never tried or used nosler brass so no opinion, however I do what I call my match prep (deburr and or uniform inside primer flash holes-check case length and uniform to equal length-weight sort to 1gr spread-hand inner and outer chamfer-and collet neck size) with all lapua and norma brass I use. I'm so obsessive I'm afraid I would do this to any nosler brass I intended to use as well. Might not be necessary from what you found, but would still do it :) Good group and numbers by the way, looks like a keeper load.

Varget is one I should spend more time with myself, I've always seemed to hit a powder that did better but the use of it is heavy in the case size family I use. Will continue to try it with each load work-up none the less. Never tried or used nosler brass so no opinion, however I do what I call my match prep (deburr and or uniform inside primer flash holes-check case length and uniform to equal length-weight sort to 1gr spread-hand inner and outer chamfer-and collet neck size) with all lapua and norma brass I use. I'm so obsessive I'm afraid I would do this to any nosler brass I intended to use as well. Might not be necessary from what you found, but would still do it :) Good group and numbers by the way, looks like a keeper load.
I do the same thing plus I neck turn everything,even with Norma which has always been my favorite. I was almost ashamed to load it without any prep at all but it measured and weighed perfect and I was really impressed but i never would have expected that out of it . As far as Varget, that stuff never ceases to amaze me

Nice groups. No surprise on the powder choice, but every rifle seems to like something different. Unless I missed it, you didn't reveal the bullet used. I like Nosler brass and usually neck size, check case length and flash holes prior. Just bought a box of Nosler for the grandson's .270 and was surprised the cases were in need of trimming. Not very consistent in length. First time this has occurred with Nosler.

Nice groups. No surprise on the powder choice, but every rifle seems to like something different. Unless I missed it, you didn't reveal the bullet used. I like Nosler brass and usually neck size, check case length and flash holes prior. Just bought a box of Nosler for the grandson's .270 and was surprised the cases were in need of trimming. Not very consistent in length. First time this has occurred with Nosler.
90gr Sierra Varminteer

I've read about it, heard about it and raised an eyebrow about it but it happened to me today. I've shot all kinds of brass but never any Nosler Brass, I got a box of 50 new from the classifieds for my 270 ( My Coyote hunting rig ) and when they got here they looked really nice, I'm a fanatic brass prep guy but I'm telling ya "they looked really nice"and it said rite on the box "Ready to Load" ;) so I thought what the heck, I had a couple of powders in mind so I loaded up a few and they showed promise all but one( Staball 6.5 which I have tried in several combinations and have since set fire to it in the backyard this evening so I'll waste no more time on it, it smelled good and went up real nice and I feel much better now ) anyhoo there set Varget so I thought "Why Not" as it shoots in everthing else,so I loaded stout a book load with no brass prep other than primer, powder,bullet and a light crimp. It shot an SD of 6 and ES of 12 and it put them in a really good group with the wind that I have this evening.View attachment 193605View attachment 193606View attachment 193607

It is always nice to hear positive real-world experience. That's a nice yote killer group and SD. Thanks for sharing ... now go get them. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Nice numbers and shooting! The last four boxes of Nosler brass I've bought were very consistent. Differences between the two lots ( <.5 gr variance w/in lot, but about 1 gr between lots, but one lot is about .012 shorter than the other). Very consistent otherwise, though I still go through my normal brass prep for my own peace of mind. That all said, I wouldn't hesitate to load as is if I were truly in a hurry or if it were for a factory rifle.

Dave, I did something similar the other day, eith my 7-08. I loaded 20 rounds of Lspua brass, three different powders, with 100 grain Sierra open tip varmint bullets. Straight out of the box, no prep, primer, powder, seat. Was fooling with my 270, at the same time Brother bean was, with his, wind picked up, and I didn't shoot them. I'll keep ya posted. On another note, Varget is no joke! It shoots in about everything I own, and it's got me thinking about a keg. I shot other things when it was scarce, but it's about as close to Angel dust as you can get.
RL16, is right behind it! StaBall, is off my radar!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.