My first 338 Lapua....

wbyfireman

Having my first .338 Lapua (and first custom) being built by Phoenix Custom Rifles. (Have been saving for 2 years for this puppy) It will sport a 27 1/2" Bartlein 5R
barrel 9.4" twist. McMillan A3-5 adjustable stock, Stiller action, Timney trigger, Nightforce NSX scope. AI drop magazine. Looking for some reloading ideas on where I should start... I have IMR 7828 and Retumbo on hand along with 300 gr Bergers and 285 gr SST's to play around with. Also what about breaking in a barrel with a custom barrel.... Yea or nea??

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get behind this meat stick for the first time

Sounds like quite a rig!

I've only got one custom rifle, and I bought it used so I cannot comment on the process used on it. I've read a dozens of articles and threads on barrel break in.

I'm not sure you will find a consistent opinion regarding barrel break in. Some will say that you need a few hundred rounds to break in barrels. Other will say shoot normally since a few hundred rounds of break (caliber dependent) in is nothing other than a way of selling more barrels since you just used 10% or more of your barrel life getting it ready.

Unless the barrel maker gave specific recommendations regarding break in, I would not put hundreds of rounds down range to break in a barrel. A .338 LM uses a burns a lot of powder per shot, so I would not want to waste any rounds on the break in process.

Last edited:
Sounds like quite a rig!

I've only got one custom rifle, and I bought it used so I cannot comment on the process used on it. I've read a dozens of articles and threads on barrel break in.

I'm not sure you will find a consistent opinion regarding barrel break in. Some will say that you need a few hundred rounds to break in barrels. Other will say shoot normally since a few hundred rounds of break (caliber dependent) in is nothing other than a way of selling more barrels since you just used 10% or more of your barrel life getting it ready.

Unless the barrel maker gave specific recommendations regarding break in, I would not put hundreds of rounds down range to break in a barrel. A .338 LM uses a burns a lot of powder per shot, so I would not want to waste any rounds on the break in process.

Thanks for the reply

Bartlein posts their recommended barrel break in procedure on their website.

Just my 2 cents.
rch

Those powders should work just fine, and a lot of people are liking the 300 grain Bergers. If you want to go for max velocity I would try RL33. People have been getting awesome results using it behind the 300s. I just picked up some to try in my 338 with the same bullets. Another powder that seems to work really well in these cartridges is H1000.

my break in procedure which works very well consists of the following.

I shoot single shots over a chrono and clean between each shot until I see consistent velocities, low ES and such. should be between 5-10 shots, after which I shoot 3 shots and clean till 15-17, and 5 shots and clean till 30, and then im done. seems like a lot yes, but it has worked great for me and have had nothing but very accurate rifles. I also bore coat my barrels which helps with heat and cleaning, I get minimal copper fouling!

Kasey

Sounds like ours will be somewhat similar. Dan Glover is doing mine. Lead time depends on the action for me, so I won't have mine til maybe February. Brux 9.5" twist, 28" before the brake, B&C varmint stock, Defiance Deviant Tactical action in R700, mag feed, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, and NF NXS 8-32.

I'll just be using H-1000. I'm having a lot of luck with Nosler AB's (250) on another 338 so I'll probably stick with those too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts