My first spotting scope, on a tight budget

I really like threads like this as I'm on a budget also and always trying to make a buck go as far as I can.

Same here. I read a lot of these type threads before buying the Ultima 80. A Swarovski it s not, but for $169 I think it will do what I need it to do. Haven't had it aimed at any head gear yet but feel like it s clear enough to field judge bucks out to 800 yards at least. Really haven't looked at stuff much further than that yet.

I set up my new scope for a few minutes tonight to view the moon. All I can say is, wow. If you have not done that before, you should. It's only a sliver of a moon tonight so it wasn't too bright but you definitely probably need a moon filter to avoid damaging your eye when the moon is more full.

The new Bushnell Legend T-Series Spotting Scope has Mil-Hash Reticle for $500-$600. I am looking at one of those and have read reviews about it being pretty nice. Several people say it runs neck and neck with the Leupold Mark 4. Anybody have first hand experience with one?

The new Bushnell Legend T-Series Spotting Scope has Mil-Hash Reticle for $500-$600. I am looking at one of those and have read reviews about it being pretty nice. Several people say it runs neck and neck with the Leupold Mark 4. Anybody have first hand experience with one?

No sorry. I have not seen it. The more I use my Ultima 80 the more pleased I am with it. I set it up last night for some last light viewing to see how it does in low light. I used it on 20x for obvious reasons. I could actually see better through the scope on 20 X than I could with my naked eye. Well after legal shooting light I could still see the deer and tell bucks from does. I could still see the does plenty well enough to even age them. It was dark enough at this point that I would have had a hard time placing a scope reticle on one to shoot. After looking at the deer I panned up to the moon for a bit which was very cool.

I set up my new scope for a few minutes tonight to view the moon. All I can say is, wow. If you have not done that before, you should. It's only a sliver of a moon tonight so it wasn't too bright but you definitely probably need a moon filter to avoid damaging your eye when the moon is more full.

I had no idea a moon filter even was a thing... My family and I have looked at a full moon many times through a spotting scope. Could this really have done damage?

I just recently met a guy who has been blind since he was a kid because both him and his brother looked at an eclipse.

Now you have me worried about this moon filter thing...

I had no idea a moon filter even was a thing... My family and I have looked at a full moon many times through a spotting scope. Could this really have done damage?

I just recently met a guy who has been blind since he was a kid because both him and his brother looked at an eclipse.

Now you have me worried about this moon filter thing...

Yes they make moon filters just like solar filters for the sun. The moon CAN hurt your eyes but it's not as likely as the sun. Error in on the side of caution is always best though. If your eyes aren't bothering you then I'm sure you're fine.

Sorry I know tbis is an old thread,but does anyone know who sell Athlon spotting scopes?Iam currently waiting for a vangaurd endeavor hd 20x60x82mm which is stretching my fixed income limit but I have learned the hard way about optics and having many sub par scopes on my 300 weatherby breaking I.my new vortex diamond back hp
But to vortex credit they sent me a new diamondback hp in a total of 6 days.

Last edited:
I really like threads like this as I'm on a budget also and always trying to make a buck go as far as I can.

Well to REALLY stretch your dollar get a VERY limited part-time job at Dicks sporting goods. I have been there a year now and only work about one 4 hr shift per month. My vortex discount is 50%,Nikon is 45%,bushnell varies up to 65% etc. And I only work the gun counter to boot. I leave my regular job and stop there on the way home so there is no travel time involved.

Well to REALLY stretch your dollar get a VERY limited part-time job at Dicks sporting goods. I have been there a year now and only work about one 4 hr shift per month. My vortex discount is 50%,Nikon is 45%,bushnell varies up to 65% etc. And I only work the gun counter to boot. I leave my regular job and stop there on the way home so there is no travel time involved.
Wouldnt work for me the closest dicks from me is 45 miles each way and I can't drive once the sun's goes down I had manager at one time at sportsman offer me a part time job but just the gas alone and I can't risk losing my ssi disability. But those employee deals you get are awesone

Just posted my Vanguard Spotting scope for sale in the optics classifieds. It is a good scope with a vortex like warranty. Perfect starter scope.

$200 tyd
Hi zeroforhire, I just bought a vanguard 20x60x82mm hd model and i really like it but now i am thinking okay have made a mistake and waited for the celestron hd model.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.