My first spotting scope, on a tight budget

ShootnMathews

Well guys I've been on a quest for a spotting scope for several years now for both range work and spotting and field judging game at extended ranges. I searched and read reviews for months last year and set myself a max budget of $600 for this year and hoped to not spend all of it. What I came up with for the two highest rated in terms of customer reviews were the Alpen 20-60x80 $479 and the Celestron Regal M2 ED 80 $589. They both have really high reviews with many comparing them to the $1200 range of scopes. BUT, as life has a way of doing my budget has been smashed. I still wanted a scope for this season so I went back to reviews and came up with the Konus 20-60x80 $200 on sale right now, and the Celestron Ultima 80 $169. They both have really high reviews also with many reviewers comparing them to the $400-$800 scopes. I would have went with the Konus except it only has a 2 year warranty and several people complained of the foot breaking. The Celestron has a lifetime warranty and the biggest complaint was a very slightly gritty zoom and less eye relief than the Konus. The foot breaking on the Konus and the no questions lifetime warranty on the Celestron kind of made the decision for me. Soooo, my Celestron Ultima 80 should arrive tomorrow. I know there are a lot of us out there who can't afford the Swarovski and Zeiss scopes so I plan on doing a fairly thorough review on the functionality of this scope for my two primary jobs for it. Hopefully it will do what I need it to do. If I can field judge bucks on my property to 800 yards and see bullet splash on steel to 1000 I'd be extremely happy. I'll be satisfied if I can field judge at 600 and see steel splash at 800. If I have time I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow.

You are not the first nor the last to be on a tight budget. Many on this forum can honestly relate to this now or in the past. The big names are alluring, but the cost are becoming out of reach for many. Go with what you can afford and perhaps upgrade in the future. You may be happy with what you have if it suites your needs.

I appreciate the kind words. There's a lot of glass snobs out there that really look down on people who buy cheap glass but for some of us in lower income states the big names are just far out of reach. I hope this scope will fill all my needs but if not at least I will make do for a couple years until I can afford a good midrange scope. Living in an old house and driving older vehicles that need regular maintainance, I'll never be able to afford those big name scopes. But we work hard for what we have and pay our own way and for that I'm proud of what we do have.

The new Athlon spotting scopes are getting great reviews. Lifetime warranty, etc...I am a recovering glass snob and toiled over getting a new scope for my rifle for a long time. I dreaded having to drop 2k plus on one of the bigger names. I took a leap of faith and went with the Athlon Cronus. The glass did not disappoint, and to my eye easily competes with much higher priced scopes. I think the same is becoming true in binoculars and spotting scopes. I am not sure if the technology is getting better in the manufacturing process, but I just don't see much difference in glass quality now. I own a pair of Zeiss binoculars as well as a Zeiss diascope spotting scope and if I am being honest I don't see a 500-1500 dollar difference between them and say a set of Vortex Razors. I think times are a changin in the optics world. There will always be folks who are willing to pay a premium, but the gap is getting smaller for sure.

.... I own a pair of Zeiss binoculars as well as a Zeiss diascope spotting scope and if I am being honest I don't see a 500-1500 dollar difference between them and say a set of Vortex Razors. I think times are a changin in the optics world. There will always be folks who are willing to pay a premium, but the gap is getting smaller for sure.

I sure see differences in both the Zeiss spotter and bino's compared to some other brands

Just posted my Vanguard Spotting scope for sale in the optics classifieds. It is a good scope with a vortex like warranty. Perfect starter scope.

$200 tyd

Received my scope today. On first impressions I am very happy. It came at about 1pm and I set her up to glass around. It was bluebird skies and 90 degrees out so the heat waves and distortion were horrible. I was very surprised to see that at a ranged 546 yards between the waves of distortion I could see acorns.

This evening after the sun dropped just out of sight I set it up again. This time with no heat waves I could see acorns on the trees at somewhere between 750 and 800 yards. I didn't have my rangefinder this time but it was much further than the 546 I ranged earlier. So to say the least at this point I am happy with it. More field use will be the real test though.

I took some pictures but it was very hard to hold my phone by hand and get a good focus through the scope. And in several of the pictures you can see a reflection of a chrome ring around the camera on the phone.

The picture I'm posting first is this evening around 750-800 yards and if you follow the lowest long limb on that dead tree down and to the left where it disappears into the leaves, if you zoom in you can see a nice bright green acorn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 161
I did a little more spotting today in full sun since I will be using this through the day hours also. For as cheap as the scope is, I am pretty happy with it. It is by no means a Swarovski or Zeiss or even a razor but it is of good enough quality to be useful. I have never looked through a real good spotting scope. The most expensive I have ever viewed through is a Vortex Viper and honestly I think this scope is just as good as that one was. It definitely is better than the Vortex Diamondback, and all the Simmons and Bushnells that I have looked through. I'd say better than the leupold sx1 I looked through also.

Today in full sun and heat waves I could still see the leaves well enough to distinguish tree species and I could see all the small branches well enough that I'm sure I could field judge a buck or bull. The distance at which I was viewing I am not sure. My rangefinder is only good to 800 and this was well past that. I'd guess approaching 1100. Next chance I get I'll try to range something in the middle from both ends to get a range on it.

You are not the first nor the last to be on a tight budget. Many on this forum can honestly relate to this now or in the past. The big names are alluring, but the cost are becoming out of reach for many. Go with what you can afford and perhaps upgrade in the future. You may be happy with what you have if it suites your needs.

Well said!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 91
Now if some manufacturer would just make a reasonably priced spotting scope with a Mil reticle! That would be the bees knees...

Agreed. I'd love to have a mil reticle in this spotter. Or even an moa one. Either would do at this point since half of my LR scopes are moa and half are mil.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts