My First Riffle Build w/ Pics

JW74

I just finished my first rifle build along with the help of my gunsmith friend Pete. I wanted to share the experience and pictures with the folks here as I did the majority of my research for the build by reading post on this forum. Tons of great info!

I started off with an off the shelf Remington 700 VS from Cabela's in .308 that I picked up for $375 new. It had a cheap plastic stock and 26" varmint barrel.

The first thing I did was replace the stock with a "Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 3 stock with hook" and also replaced the bottom metal with the "M5 Stealth DM M24 Detachable Magazine System". I also had the gunsmith cut the barrel back to 24" and add an OPS Inc muzzle break as well as a tactical bolt knob from Badger Ordinance. While that work was being done we also trashed the stock trigger and added a Timney 517 straight trigger.

This was my first time texturing a rifle stock and I did it with PC-7 epoxy. It turned out well but I would definitely use Marine-tex next time as it is easier to work with from what I can tell. I also painted the stock for the first time and wanted to do a GAP camo pattern in dessert colors. All in all I'm pleased with it. The last thing done was I had the barrel, action, bolt, base and rings Cerakoted in Flat dark earth. Finally I added a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR FFP with Horus reticle that I got a screaming cyber monday deal on. I had the scope mounted before I had any work done just to see how it shot straight out of the box. With Hornady Match 168 gr A-Max the riffle grouped 3 shots @ approx 3/4" at 100 yards. Today was my first time shooting the rifle after having all the work done and it shot fantastic. Same ammo as before but had one group go sub 1/4" and had several 1/2" groups as well. All 3 shot groups @ 100 yards. The plan is too start shooting some steel with it and hopefully test it at 800-1000 yards. All in all it took me about 8 weeks to put everything together and do all of the work. I really enjoyed the process, learned a lot and definitely have a lot of pride in this rifle.

List of parts for the Build:
- BC Tactical Medalist 3 stock
- M5 Stealth DM M24 Detachable Magazine System
- Tactical bolt know from Badger Ordinance
- Timney 517 trigger
- Ops Inc Muzzle Break
- BlackHawk tactical rings and 20 MOA scope base
- Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR FFP w/ XLR reticle
- Bradley adjustable tactical cheek rest
- Harris 6-9" Bipod

Attachments

• Rem 700 Build  1.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Rem 700 Build 3.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Rem 700 Build 4.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Rem 700 Build 6.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Rem 700 Build 8.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 8.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Rem 700 Build 9.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 9.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 115
A couple of targets from today with Hornady and Federal match ammo.

Attachments

• group 1.jpg
    group 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 79
  • group 2.jpg
    group 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 77
I like that stock! Looks like a Manners, but about 1/3 the price.

How did you go about sanding the swells and adding the grip stuff? Also, what is that stuff you added? How hard is it to do?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been curious how they integrated the texture stuff into the fiberglass stock for a long time.

How did you go about sanding the swells and adding the grip stuff? Also, what is that stuff you added? How hard is it to do?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been curious how they integrated the texture stuff into the fiberglass stock for a long time.

I have used devcon to add texture to my factory tikka stock. I just mix it up and applied w/ a tongue depressor lifting it off of the creating little points then let it cure and sand down. You could get creative and add any sort of texture you want or are capable of.

For non-skid on boats, which is a textured finish, we use a 2 part epoxy paint with an aggregate filler and a flattening agent so it does not shine. We spray that on with an airless sprayer much like a Wagner sprayer. That should work well on a stock as well. It provides a nice texture.

Dennis

Thanks MudRunner. The product I used is a very strong two part epoxy (PC-7) you can get it at Lowes. I would recommend using Marine-Tex instead though as it goes on easier and is easier to work with. PC-7 goes on very thick and I used a wide wooden popsicle stick to apply it. After about 15-20 minutes as it started to set up I dabbed it all over with a new popsicle stick to give it it's texture. After drying for 24 hours I then sanded down the high spots and pointy spots with fine grit sand paper. It sands very easy. I would say it was't too difficult, although I would practice applying it to a piece of practice board first to get the hand of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.