My first elk hunt ...was a success!

I traveled to Colorado for my first elk hunt this last November. I hunted the third rifle season on public land in unit 78. We were on elk on day 1 and 3. Day 2 we were close but couldn't get a visual. On the 5th day of the hunt this Bull and I crossed paths. He's not a trophy by trophy elk standards but it sure made my hunt of a lifetime an even better one. The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!

Congratulations man! I hope this year goes just as well for ya.

696C0E38-C04C-447F-89FD-BEACAE8D9704.jpeg

Last edited:
I traveled to Colorado for my first elk hunt this last November. I hunted the third rifle season on public land in unit 78. We were on elk on day 1 and 3. Day 2 we were close but couldn't get a visual. On the 5th day of the hunt this Bull and I crossed paths. He's not a trophy by trophy elk standards but it sure made my hunt of a lifetime an even better one. The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!
That's WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT! GREAT PICS! GREAT HUNT! GETS BETTER EACH & EVERY TIME! Theosmithjr

If you have your health and an opportunity to go and build memories, you best do it while you can, because your health will pass as will the opportunities. I have had this discussion on many airplane rides and nights at lodges with a small group I like to go with to far away lands. When you go with a group of like minded folks it really adds to the experiance.

Congrats on your first elk.

You FL guys need to check the outfitter out through other hunters, there are crooks out and about. A PH in country told me that a well known outfitter in Agentina took the boys from Safari International on a hunt, won by draw, where they all got arrested and had their guns confiscated. The outfitter apparently did not buy their gun permits or their licenses. So regardless of who you are, you can get caught in a bad situation.

We got stopped in the Santiago International Airport one time, because we had not paid the new entry tax into Argentina, in the US, before we left the US for Argentina. The US started charging non residents a $125 entry fee so US residents got hit with an $125 entry tax by other countries. We were on the airplane going to Chile in order to catch our flight to Córdoba Argentina when the BS started and we could not go forward or back until the Argentine Consulate came the next morning and we all coughed up the cash to continue our trip. The airport hotel which was across the street, was in Chile, our gun permits were for Argentina so we could not legally check out baggage and no gun baggage could be checked in. Everything had to stay in no-mans land, including us. Ever see the movie about the guy stuck in the Airport in NY City, well.....but it was Santiago. A memorable trip.
Ed

congrats man, very nice animal. trophy in my book

Well try driving from Florida to Wyoming to find out the guy lied (friend)/guide and don't even have a tag to put on that sandwich lol. We made the best best of it and five Florida boys had a great time without an elk

Buck
That's when you break out the calls and turn it into a coyote hunt:)

nice going! I agree that every elk is a trophy. I shot a dozen bulls during my time in Montana, five of them in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. Mostly 5x5's. Very hard to get to a herd bull. My prize was 7x8 that rough scored 357.

I'm a little old now for backpack hunting (88), but the memories linger and I enjoy stories like yours.

First two elk were taken with a model 70 featherweight in 30-06 Core lokt. The others were taken with two model 70's in 338 (Bob Marshall is grizzly country). The last one had the BOSS option and shot like a 22-250. Various factory loads were used, Winchester Fail Safe performed best. Also used it in Africa with good result.

Congratulations again on a fine hunt.

Congratulations that's a fine bull! I've been very fortunate living in western CO all my life and working ranches and outfitting. I've shot plenty of elk and still get excited every time. I will admit I've been a trophy hunter for a few decades now and very successful at it. My trophy is a nice young tender and tasty cow. I only ever shot two big bulls and they were tough as a boot.

That's when you break out the calls and turn it into a coyote hunt:)

We did actually and prairie dogs and even ended up getting a few pronghorn doe tags. We had the best time. Just no elk and you know how that is once you get it on your mind. We did have a great guy take us up on his property and show us some elk and invited to antelope hunt on his property. That was probably 15 years ago seems like yesterday
I am going back one day. Sitting on 5 preference point now

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.