My first elk hunt ...was a success!

jd126

I traveled to Colorado for my first elk hunt this last November. I hunted the third rifle season on public land in unit 78. We were on elk on day 1 and 3. Day 2 we were close but couldn't get a visual. On the 5th day of the hunt this Bull and I crossed paths. He's not a trophy by trophy elk standards but it sure made my hunt of a lifetime an even better one. The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_E2998.JPG
    IMG_E2998.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,846
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,752
  • IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,716
Thanks everyone! This elk and the experience was definitely a trophy to me. That moment was one heck of an adrenaline rush and it took a while for it all to sink in. I enjoyed spending that week with my uncle more than anything though. Fun times.

"The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!"

For your first elk hunt you have better understanding than some veteran elk hunters.
Dave

Thanks again.

I hunted with my Winchester M70 EW chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Load was a 140gr Barnes TTSX, .05 off the lands, over 67.5gr of VV N560 crawling out the muzzle at 3260 fps. Used Nosler brass and Federal magnum primers. I wanted a 160-180gr bullet but my local shop was all out of the good stuff so had to settle for the 140gr Barnes. It did the trick but took a few of them. First shot was at 413 yards and 2 follow up shots at around 460 yards.

Last year I was still sporting my old Nikon 400 rangefinder that I bought around 2004 so I decided to splurge and bought the Leica 2000b from Euro Optics. I think for $399 you cant go wrong. I was able to range some lucky orange guy on another ridge at 1620 yards. I hit him with the laser a few times and it stayed consistent +/- a few yards.

Last edited:
Yup, I was on public 81 for 3rd season-- most elk had all moved west or south into 78 or across the border--- i saw lots of hunters in 81 though

You were right across that hill. Some locals said the rumor was all the elk had already started heading south into New Mexico and that the hunters in the 2nd rifle season hammered them pretty good when the elk were on the move.

I seen a lot of hunters too. So many that it was a bit discouraging. On multiple occasions I bumped into them. I'm not Randy Newberg so I do consider that luck was on my side that day.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.