First elk hunt success

That 340 wby is bad medicine. I'm shooting 250gr accubonds in my accumark, but I won't get to shoot anything bigger than a whitetail again this year. Congratulations sir, beautiful bull

Congratulations! The smile on your face says it all. Fairly chased and shot like an ethical Sportsman. Way to go!

-YZ

Just got back home from my first trip to Colorado. It was a tough hunt but I managed to harvest my first elk. Not the biggest bull on the mountain but a huge trophy in my book. Killed him on Wednesday after 4 days of not seeing much of anything, and this being the first legal bull anybody in camp had seen. 330 yard shot, 340 wby with a 225 gr Barnes ttsx, 2980 muzzle velocity. Quartering to, bullet entered high shoulder and exited about 6 inches in front of the off hind quarter. It pierced the skin and was hung up in the hide when we skinned him. Didn't destroy any meat to speak of on the shoulder, entrance hole was small but once it went thru the shoulder there was a baseball sized hole going thru the rib cage. Was an awesome trip that I'll never forget and I'll for sure be back to try again.
What a great hunt . Awesome first bull . You'll remember that forever! The only thing now is your hooked for life ! đź‘Ť

Excellent! With your first hunt here in CO, what it's like in terms of toughness and the low harvest rate, you now know that any elk is good elk. I've always found monos to expand exactly like that. That last slide is an exceptional pic. In snow like that, I like to trace the elk's last steps. Cheers, enjoy the chow and whatever you do with the head!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.