My biggest Deer to date

Tnwhip

Well I have been hunting sense Saturday have not seen anything except does standing on the side of the road. It changed yesterday morning. It was real foggy could see only 100 yards. At 6:15 I saw something moving at a little over 100 yards in the field. It was walking across. couldn't tell what it was. At 20 till 7 I saw a limb shaking on the side of the field about 100 yards away. Then I saw something walking down the edge of the field and I could see antlers. I could see it was a nice buck. If it kept walking I would have a clear shot at about 50 yards. At about 60 yards he turned and started to walk into the woods. I had the sights on him and pulled the trigger. The smoke and fog was so thick I could not see anything, Never saw a white tail or anything. I eased behind the tree and reloaded. I waited a few minutes and eased over to where he was. No blood, no hair. I eased into the woods and saw 3 does running around. Didn't see any antlers. I kept looking for any sign and I could see something white at 50 yds. away. I said that is either a white bucket or my buck. I looked at it with my binoculars and there he was. I eased up to him I could see his eyes were glassed over. I said **** what a buck for around here. I don't know how he made it this long. This area is hunted pretty hard all year.I said a prayer over him and started dragging him to the truck. He has 11 points and a 21" inside spread. 200 lbs.The biggest buck I have ever shot. I shot two nice ones last year but this is one I have been looking for the last 50 years. My old flintlock has never failed, the 54 round ball did its job.

That's a really nice deer. I would love to get a chance at something like that this year. Congratulations on the hunt. Pretty good looking smoke pole. Did you put it together?

Tnwhip,

Good story and post. Love the flintlocks as well. Never felt at a disadvantage with one.

That rifle looks kinda like one of Herchel"s

Great deer, congrat's

Mike

Tnwhip,

Good story and post. Love the flintlocks as well. Never felt at a disadvantage with one.

That rifle looks kinda like one of Herchel"s

Great deer, congrat's

Mike
Thanks I have been building rifles for a long time. And have known all the House brothers for over 20 years

Nice buck. How long is the barrel on your rifle? Is that common for flintlock rifles?

The barrel is 42" It is a 1790 Virginia style iron mounted long rifle. 42 is common but they can be anywhere from 38 to 47. I made every thing except the barrel and lock. Forged the trigger guard and butt plate.

The barrel is 42" It is a 1790 Virginia style iron mounted long rifle. 42 is common but they can be anywhere from 38 to 47. I made every thing except the barrel and lock. Forged the trigger guard and butt plate.
I just found out you can click on the picture and it will take you to photo bucket and you can blow the picture up bigger. Give you a better look.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.