When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn't allow rifles...

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles...

I researched the latest technology available in blackpowder guns. Those things can really shoot long these days. I decided on a Specialty Handgun instead but for a "shotgun" county they work really well to reach out there.

Re: When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles...

Len,

Buddy do I have some pics for this NEW colum...Give a couple days...and unstand that I still have a 24k connection! I like this new breakdown. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Len, check out the smokeless savage 10ml and the nula's - newultralight.com

Melvin makes some incredible muzzleloaders.

Once you go smokeless......

Re: When I decided to deer hunt in a county that doesn\'t allow rifles.

Wildcatter

I bought a blackpowder gun in 1999 and shot a 165 class mulie in Kansas during a BP only season. That gun was never used again until last fall when my son used it to kill a nice whitetail in Wisconsin in that rifle-less county I mentioned. He just absolutely loved the experience.

I first got into archery and muzzleloading to expand my seasons. Turned out to become a passion. I bought a knight disc extreme about 5 years ago and just picked a savage 10ml-II. Haven't shot the savage yet, but I have many friends who love'em. I was thinking about the NULA myself, but with only a 1 week ML season, its a bit of overkill...But, I'll probably still get one after I finish my latest rifle project.

The best part about archery and ML seasons is the fact that I can be in the woods without all the weekend warriors. Archery gives me over a 1 month headstart on gun season, and it the best chance for a good buck. Everyone wants to be in the rifle areas, often times the shotgun, archery, or ml only areas hold some good animals. There is a 17,000+ acre piece or public property near my house with a small 100-200 acre archery only area across the road. Its my thanksgiving morning secret spot. There are hundreds of guys chasing deer right to me.

Ok Len,

I promised M/L pics these aint much but has a good story.
Florida M/L season extends into mid Feb. I loaded up and went home for a weekend hunt(FL born and raised). Ive been hunting Eglin AFB most my life. I got my first M/L when I was 9 so thats 25 years of it. First one was a T/C Renegade then a white mountain carbine, Rem700, T/C Black diamond these days its an Encore. Anyway more stories and history later....

I shot this 6 pnt 67 yards sitting in a chair hidden in a palmetto patch. The rut was on and I had been watching a doe for about 15 mins and lost sight of her. Id say 20 mins later she reappeared and countinued feeding. After another 5-10 mins the buck came over the hill and she had all of his attention. The area I was in was open but at 60-70 yards it was getting a little thick. After I was sure he was legal(must have 3 pnts on one side) I found myself looking for an opening pretty hard. As his left shoulder entered my spot I sqeezed it off...nice big puff of smoke and I saw him stumbling as he ran off. Im thinking real hard now why didnt he just pile up? Needless to say he only went about 40 yards. The first pic is the reason he didnt pile up. The second is the bullet entry. And the third well thats Dell however the buck you see Dell holding is another buck the 6 point behind them is the tree buck. Ill get a better pic of him soon I have them their just on a different computer.

Anyway this was a good day!

011949.jpg

I think the vertical x hair was blocking the tree....deer was standing about at Dell's left knee.

011948.jpg

That's an entry!

011947.jpg

The bullet was a 50 cal 295gr Barnes TMZ!

Ok there is his pics!

011954.jpg

011955.jpg

While Im at it heres a couple hogs! I took opening day of M/L.

011956.jpg

While Im still at it and feeling good!...You all remember this guy? M/L ...thats pretty much it for 2007 and the M/L 5 out of 6 animals for the year .50 ENCORE!

010311.jpg

010309.jpg

Opp! about forgot this lil guy!

011958.jpg

011957.jpg

Thats it!!

By buddy hasn't used a shotgun for deer since 1999. He gets about 5 or 6 each year in Waupaca County, WI.

Last shotgun buck for me was around 2000, Blue Springs, AL that was about my last dog hunt! Cant remember he was a nice 7 or 8 point. I was working midnights and Dad held everyone up before it all started waiting on Me, I checked in at like 7:15 and was checking out by 9:00.

I have to say I used to love bowhunting and still do, I like the rifle, but in the last 10 years my M/L track is hard to beat! Seems like the time of the M/L seasons and some of the places I can hunt just seem to fall together!

I've got a few scopes I'll be moving around and I'm thinhing of moving one from my 300WM to the Encore and adding a target knob to the vertical only...Just to see what I can do at 300 if not 400 yds. 200 is pretty easy but the drop after that is BIG time!

Len,

I truely love blackpowder but why is it we have gotten a mere 14 posts in here? Have I really gotta dig into the 2007 photos for at least 8 more bucks that I know were killed with a M/L? Not mine but my Dads the other Retired Col.(Dells buddy we call the MANGEE COYOTE) I hunt with and a few others!

Or should I just make a derogitory statement about a Knight M/L and get this really going! Or should we advertise hot babes?

Thats it next post titled hot babes....all dead M/L does...coming soon!

Yea I know this has nothing to do with shotgunning and no rifle counties but It was the first post under Blackpowder!
Sorry Ive never been to a place of the NO rifle or shotgun only! And it just doesnt make sense to me.

Ok! I got ol broken horn back today! and I like him alot better with both sides!

012793.jpg

012796.jpg

012797.jpg

012799.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.