My 7WSM

Noice, is there any chance of a quick how to for the paint job or has it been done before. Anyone got a link. I want to paint mine but don't want to stuff it up.

I use an airbrush to camo my rifles. The patterns are random free-hand. If you "mess up" you can just go over it again in specific areas. If you know how to use an air-brush it's really easy. With an air-brush you can blend colors or make fine lines not possible with a rattle can. The time for a camo job is greatly reduced since stencils are not necessary. Hope this helps.

I've been thinking about buying one of the Benchmark prefits from Kevin. I was wondering what kind of experiece you have with them. How do they shoot/clean. Pac-Nor has not sent me a bad one yet, but the benchmarks are a little cheaper and I can get them alittle quicker. Thanks

I use an airbrush to camo my rifles. The patterns are random free-hand. If you "mess up" you can just go over it again in specific areas. If you know how to use an air-brush it's really easy. With an air-brush you can blend colors or make fine lines not possible with a rattle can. The time for a camo job is greatly reduced since stencils are not necessary. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mate, I think I'll just black the barrel and action for now and stick with the gay looking mcmillan camo stock.

I went to the local Sportman's warehouse and the highest BC 7mm bullets I could find were 154gr Hornady IB's. I loaded them up with some 4831SC and headed for the hills. When trying to zero the rifle I was supprised that it was grouping over 1 MOA. I was expecting much better even for the first few shots (I've always had better luck in the past). I decided to try at long range (585yds shooting at eggs), I was sorely dissapointed with the performance. I would estimate the group at 585yds to be nearly 10", not good enough to hit eggs! It was a frusterating first outing with the rifle. To verify that the changing wind wasn't messing me up I shot my 243 and egg yoke was flying.

Fast forward a few weeks. My 175gr SMK's and 180gr VLD's came in. I decided to go out on a limb and try H4350 with the SMK. I use 4350 with my 243 and it's extremely accurate. I used 57gr with a Rem Mag primer. I could tell it was better when zeroing the rifle group was .3" at 100yds. I tried the long range and was impressed by the accuracy of this experimental load. I'd guess the group at 585yds to be arround 3" for 5 shots. Hitting eggs was not too hard to do. A fist sized rock could be struck continuously until there was nothing left of it. It was a big relief to see the rifle perform. The trajectory was very good as well, I was using 9.5 MOA for 585yds with a 100yd zero. I wasn't able to chrono the load, but the trajectory would suggest a MV of arround 3100fps (the 175 SMK has a .608 BC). I plan to try some RL-25 and give 4831SC another try with the new bullets. Can't wait to test these loads at 1000yds.

Here's some pics, a family friend came and enjoyed some shooting as well. My son also came along but he stuck with the 22lr.

Here's the 7wsm along with my 243
013-2.jpg

Here's some pics of my friend shooting the 7wsm (the bare spot on the other side fo the valley is 585yds)
012-5.jpg

011-3.jpg

For good measure here's a pic of my son shooting eggs with a 22lr from 135yds
002-12.jpg

Here's a link to another thread about my 243 with pleanty of pics from our shooting area in WA.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-243-a-29492/

Last edited:
Got out shooting last weekend and shot a 1/2 MOA 5-shot group from 704yds. The three in the middle are in under 1". I honestly think the rifle could do better than 1/2 MOA, although I can't imagine shooting a 5-shot group nearly as small as the three in the middle. I think the three in the center show that better groups are possible (I have no idea what order the shots were fired in). When I brought the target back my dad was impressed although he believes the three in the x-ring are complete luck. I first shot a clay pigeon, then hit a small rock (not much larger than an egg) and then shot five into the target. My dad hung the target over the reloading bench, and has been making copies and faxing it to just about everyone he knows.
IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

I also hit 4 clay pigeons in a row from 1037yds. Rick Beginsky told me he tagged 7 in a row from 1000yds (I wonder if there's an exchange rate between my bi-pod and his bench rest?). I doubt if I'll match him. Needless to say I love my 7wsm, If you have one I'd highly recommend trying out my load (it's a hot one so work up). I've got a video up on youtube shooting clay pigeons and eggs although the video quality is poor so not too much can be seen. I'll try to get some footage of the WSM doing its thing on the next video. Here's the link...
YouTube - Long Range Shooting No.2

You'll notice from these pics I swaped stocks from my 308 and WSM. I like the "prarie dog special" better for prone shooting.
IMG_1886.jpg

The white rocks in the clear-cut are 704yds away.
IMG_1881.jpg

Looking out to 1037yds
IMG_1885.jpg

You'll Notice my palm pilot in this pic... It's got the Nightforce X-ball. It's a great program in my opinion.
IMG_1874.jpg

Awesome shooting Lucas!!
Did you run that last load of 168 Bergers through a Chrony?
I'm in the middle of 3 Custom Savage builds and seeing how they perform is killing me!!:D

I heard it was better than the 6.5x284 (but that's not saying too much). I'm expecting 2500. Having a stainless three-groove may help. If barrel life is a major concern the 300WSM may be the ticket.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.