My first ever custom:

Winchester model 70 action all trued up
7mm WSM
26" Brux barrel (#7 straight taper)
CSR Muscle Break
Timney trigger (#2.5)
HS Stock
TPS Rings
20 MOA base (EGW if I remember correctly, could be wrong)
Callahan bottom metal
Durakoat everything

Now if my Vortex PST would ever get here I'd get to shoot! Can't wait to shoot this thing! Being a Marine I just had to get the matching digi pattern for my stock, if I was spending all that money I might as well go all the way right? :D

11106575.jpg

78927703.jpg

It is a good looking rifle you have there. Let me know how its shoots i want to build somthing very similar for a buddy who recently came home from over seas. would like to customize his model 70 for him.

who did the work for you. I have a win long action and would like to do pretty much the same thing. Thanks. Jeff

It was not a long action. I bought the gun used and it was already a factory 7mmWSM. Then the smith stripped everything off and trued up the action, and added everything to it.

Jim See @ Center Shot Rifles did all the work (including finding the bottom metal for it and painting everything). He shot groups that were around 1/2 MOA during rifle break in, and I'm hoping that whenever I get the scope in I can duplicate the 1/2 MOA or even beat it.

What bullet was Jim using? We ran into issues when using the 180's. That is why most used the long action when I built my 7wsm a couple years ago. Now you have alot more choices for your bottom metal.

I have a friend with the exact same starter rifle wanting to build a long range rig.

With Jim's work I am sure a 1/2moa is the starting point!!! Enjoy you have a fantastic rifle.

Brent

Last edited:
Jim's picture is much better than mine lol I was just using my iPhone in a room without a lot of light. I must say that my pics just don't do the rifle justice on how great it looks!

The bullet I am going to be using is the 168gr Berger. During breakin Jim was using 4831sc & 168 bergers if I remember correctly. I don't have any 4831sc, but I do have a pound of H1000 and several boxes of 168gr bergers that I will be trying out whenever my scope comes in. I'll definately post up some pics once I get it dialed in.

Thanks again Jim!

Brian thanks for the info. 4831sc, H1000, and RL 22 sure seem to be the top picks from what I have read. I use RL22 since I have about 15lbs of it. 69grs. with 168bergers sure does shoot well in mine.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.