My 6.5 x 284 Build

Rifle Basixs Trigger

Attachments

• photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 68
I was trying to figure out the overall weight of my build.

Stock: 2.5 lbs hs precision
Barrel: 6.5 lbs @ 30"/mine will be 28" heavy Palma
Action: 4.5 lbs rem bdl long action with base and rings
Scope: 1.7 lbs Huskemaw

I come up with 15.2lbs. This seems like a lot! Will the two inches off the barrel have a noticeable difference? I may be off a little bit! So much for trying to keep the weight down.

It is real easy to end up at 15 pounds plus. For a long range gun it's okay by me. Once it's on it's rest the more it weighs the better. 2" off your barrel will only be a couple ounces. I built my 6.5x284 at 31".

Update:

All parts sent to Smith and the barrel ordered. Ended up with a Brux Heavy Palma with an added 1.5" to the "B" measurement for a total of 4". Throated for 140 Bergers. Now looking at scopes again. I was going with the Huskemaw, however, I am leaning away from that now. These are the scopes I am looking at:

Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, 50 or 56 w/MOAR
(Top of my list, most expensive, like the moa/moa, zero stop)

Leupold MK4 8.5x25 or 6.5-24x50 w/TMR
(Always had good luck with Leupold, don't like the moa/mil reticle, no zero stop)

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 w/EBR-1 MOA
(Very good products, have a spotter from them, like the moa/moa, zero stop)

They all have there ups and downs! Still can't decided between SFP or FFP! I want a moa/moa setup. Zero stop isn't a deal breaker. Illuminated reticle isn't a must have. I really need to go look at them again side by side!

Is anyone using a (NF) 56mm objective with a 20moa base and medium rings (.885)

I read several threads last night, however, some said yes and some said no.

According to Nightforce, if using a 20 moa bases and medium rings .885, a 56mm will fit on a Sendero/light varmint contour, but will not fit the Palma. I would have to go up to a 1" ring!

On sunday I went to the Remington - Bushmaster Long Range Regional Championship at Reade Range, Fallen timber, PA. I only went to observe, as I have never been to anything like that before. Competition is not my thing, however, I really enjoy the long range aspects of it. Everyone there was very nice and more than willing to answer any questions I had. I did get the opportunity to talk to and watch Bryan Litz shoot. I also had the opportunity to watch John and Dianne Hoover shoot their matching 6.5x284's! I picked up some Lapua brass from Mr. Hoover while I was there. Accuracy One Shooting Supplies - Specializing in Long Range Shooting

I have narrowed it down to these two scopes:

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 w/MOAR Reticle
(Top of my list, most expensive, like the moa/moa, zero stop)

Leupold MK4 8.5-25x50 w/TMR
(Always had good luck with Leupold, don't like the moa/mil reticle, no zero stop)

Attachments

• photo 1-6.jpg
    photo 1-6.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 2-7.jpg
    photo 2-7.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 81
  • photo-15.jpg
    photo-15.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 76
Update:

I was undecided about putting a brake on my 6.5 x 284. Well I pulled the pin and mailed my check to Jim See @ Center Shot Rifles. I went with the mini round muscle brake and will have it milled down to my muzzle diameter of .90.

Did you check with jim on reducing the diameter of his brakes? I use a lot of those brakes. The way they are made there is not much room for reducing the diameter.

To go down to .850" the brake starts at .885". I thought you said your finish diameter is .900"

A 1" brake will be in peices at .9"

Nothing wrong with a nice taper.

This is the .885 on a .705 muzzle.

img4684h.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.