6.5 x 284

nighthunter264wm

I know that 6.5 284 is supposed to be the hottest fad in long distance, but can anyone tell me what advantage it would have over the .264 WinMag? Thanks!

I am no expert on either one but it will burn less powder, does not have a belt, can be in a short action and overall easier to load for.

Here is a quote from Sierra's manual. "Some special cautions apply when loading the 264 Win Mag. In order to achieve the highest possible velocities at acceptable pressures, Winchester's engineers designed the 264 (and factory oladed ammo for this cartridge) to use a "two diameter" bullet. In this design, the bullet diameter steps down a few thousandths just ahead of the bearing surface, resulting in a bore-riding forward shank. This portion of the bullet actually rides on the top of the lands, while the full .264" portion is engraved by the rifling. For best accuracy, this requires an extremely short throat. While the combination works, ti creates a problem when using 6.5mm bullets of conventional design. The short throat requires deep seating in order to prevent "jamming" of the bullet into the rifling."

Don't know if this helps but I found it to be intersting.

Dan

I can't speak for the 6.5 284, but I've loaded tons of .264 and have never had any seating issues. I've loaded and shot SGK's, Corelokts, Nosler Partitions, Barnes XLC's, etc, and contrary to popular belief, I've never seen any abnormal barrel wear. I do provide a brief cool down between shots, and I can put all of them through the same hole at 100 yds. I firmly believe that Remington put out the bad PR regarding the .264 as a barrel burner, but obviously have no proof. As for me, the .264 Win Mag is my favorite, but I'm always open to suggestions for something better. I plan on having Kirby build me something special this year and I have a feeling that he will produce something that will get my attention! Thanks....

nighthunter264wm, FYI, there was an interesting article recently in Shooting Times by Rick Jamison about the 264 Win Mag. I never knew that the cartridge from the factory was designed with a dual diameter bullet. The front of the original 264 bullet is narrower than the base. Sierra in their manual has a warning about loading the 264 . They recommend throating the factory barrel to allow normal bullet clearance so pressures don't spike by seating a bullet "hard" into the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.