Muzzle Brake feedback on 300 PRC

Agree to disagree about the pain killer being ugly. They give an aggressive look to any rifle and are very potent for size. Hell my small PK brake is the smallest brake on any of my rifle's and is on the most powerful one I own. With that I have a T3 Terminator and a couple of bastard brakes. The PK is easily the lightest of the 4
How does the Painkiller compare to the T3 Terminator as far as concussion, etc.? I was looking at the smaller T1+ Terminator for a 300 PRC hunting rifle. I'd like a brake but not the concussion and the size. Looks wise I think those larger ones look nice on a chassis type rifle but not so much on a traditional hunting rifle.

How does the Painkiller compare to the T3 Terminator as far as concussion, etc.? I was looking at the smaller T1+ Terminator for a 300 PRC hunting rifle. I'd like a brake but not the concussion and the size. Looks wise I think those larger ones look nice on a chassis type rifle but not so much on a traditional hunting rifle.

The small painkiller is pretty small. That's actually why I chose it over other styles. They reduce recoil better than any of my other brakes and are shorter.
This is roughly the size. Just had these from the other day for comparison.
This is on a thin barreled 6.5 Grendel just to protect threads for that point in time

Attachments

• BF493445-CE18-42DE-A718-01F951AF3D1E.jpeg
    BF493445-CE18-42DE-A718-01F951AF3D1E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
  • FA66AC00-9D1B-4EA4-B2E3-7435F63E8638.jpeg
    FA66AC00-9D1B-4EA4-B2E3-7435F63E8638.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
The self timing side vent that isn't a giant knot at the end of the barrel is where live oak Accuracy was going with this design. Pain killer is putting it nicely ugly! And needs a smith to time it correctly? The brake I suggested is side vent self timing and comes in different OD's so it doesn't look like an Apple hanging off a tree limb.

I can't honestly say, my 300 burns 20gr more powder and isn't loaded as mild as my 338LM that wears the T3.
T1 and the small PK are smaller than what most know. My discontinued Little Jimmy From APA the fat bastards little brother is slightly larger than my T3...T3 is just a touch longer but has 2 extra rows of ports.

I have finally got all of my parts together minus a muzzle brake for my next build.
I have several muzzle brakes but all on smaller caliber rifles... I need advice on the go to muzzle brake for the prc.
Will be 5/8x24 on a proof barrel.
All feedback appreciated!
I had Alamo precision put a ti 5 port Beast from muzzle brakes and more. It is very effective and blends in well. No self timing but etc but I had to pay for install of course. I haven't tried anything else on this same rifle so I don't know how it compares but it's a teddy bear shooting 225s at 2800ish.

I'm going to try the Area 419 Sidewinder. It is self timing but it uses a hardened and nitrided taper adapter. The muzzle threads (and crown probably) will never be susceptible to damage as long as the adapter is installed.

A big reason why I'm trying the Sidewinder is that I want to maximize the barrel length I can fit in a reasonably sized hard case. Being able to easily remove the brake gives me 2" more barrel which is about 30-40 fps advantage.

The brake itself is a 4 port design, a scaled up version of Area 419's Hellfire muzzle brake and mine has 3/4-24 threads so my muzzle device is not going to distort my rifling at all.

Another feature of the system is that I usually shoot rifles one at a time so I got a taper adapter for a second rifle and they can share one brake.

Lastly, Area 419 makes suppressor adapters that fit their taper adapters so I can go from a kind of plain muzzle to a muzzle brake to a suppressor in seconds, without tools.

I have seen its results in a few muzzle brake tests. It is fairly middle of the pack with brakes that are probably ok for a 338 RUM, not bad but not the highest recoil reduction. I'm going to have a heavy gun, not a rifle you pack in 20 miles for a hunt so that should help with recoil too.

I have weird requirements but it should fit them well.

I got to go to the range yesterday and tested a Thunder Beast Arms brake on a 6.5 Creedmoor and a Steyr brake on a .308.

The results were interesting. I'm used to brakes on 338 LM and .50 BMG but those two seem to create a 45° rearward blast on either side with a lot of noise and concussion.

I was able to stand close in that 45° zone and extend my arm to be parallel to the barrel with both of these brakes and with my arm extended, the only flow of gas I could feel was on my fingertips, roughly 90° from the barrel. The concussive blast in the 45° zone was very mild and the noise level didn't seem that much greater than a bare muzzle. Recoil performance was excellent.

I was expecting a lot more noise, concussion and gas that would blow stuff off of the neighboring benches but that was not the case. I would not hesitate to shoot from the bench next to these guns.

The 6.5 had a 28" barrel and the 308 26" so longer barrels than my FAL that is pretty obnoxious with a Para length 18 3/8" barrel and combo device brake. I'm sure both the barrel length and brake designs helped.

I don't know what this means for my 338 RUM, maybe the case volume and more aggressive 4 port brake will make it just as bad as the 338 LM with an Armalite tank brake. I hope that the brake design improves things a bit. My rifle is going to be heavier so it won't need to be as effective at reducing recoil. Hopefully I made a good choice.

Correct case volume matters. My 6.5 creed and even 300 win mag are not bad. Get up to my Lapua and larger they will blow a fun can of monster off the table next to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.