Muzzle brake - does one like this exist?

Spotter's Signature

Gentlemen, I've been searching and discussing this to no avail. Briefly, I'm looking for a muzzle brake with the following specs; please recommend something if you are familiar with the product or know of something that satisfies what I need. I'd appreciate a reference to a thread here if I missed it. I'm NOT looking for opinions on whether to use one or not, what to do instead, alternative solutions, or why my idea is terrible. Product recommendations, instead.
I appreciate your time, expertise and help.

The brake will go on a skinny barrel of a light, punishing hunting rifle in 7mm WBY MAG. The idea here is to make the rifle super light and compact and mitigate recoil - priority #1. This is an experimental rifle, there's some work done on it, so please, brakes only.

Specs:

Cal: 7mm (WBY MAG, it needs to be sturdy)
1/2" x 28 thread
4-port or 5-port only
Self-timed
Ports on top for compensation (e.g. like in the Fat Bastard by APA) fixed or adjustable
Light weight (and not bulky, size-wise)
No ports directed straight downward (prone debris blowback...)
Nitrided

The big limitation here is the 1/2" thread... I'm not interested in adapters/additional contraptions to install the brake (weight reduction). Some specs above are "flexible" (SS vs nitrided), but most are "fixed". Apollo LR 7mm comes to mind, but no 1/2" thread. I wonder if you could help me find something like this, if it exists...
Thanks again for your time and help.

Happy hunting!

These have been flat out impressive in our tests. They just flat work! They make punishing sporter weight rifles a pleasure to shoot.

These have been flat out impressive in our tests. They just flat work! They make punishing sporter weight rifles a pleasure to shoot.

I was wondering how the heck I missed this one. I didn't - they were impossible to find not that long ago; I'm glad things start to show up in the inventories. Thanks, one of the top choices for sure.
I just got one of these, thanks for the link. Fair price, too. I have the Fat Bastard 3 on my 300 WIN MAG and it's awesome. I hope this small version can really handle magnum recoil of a light gun.
Unrelated: I used to hunt Elk River area when I lived in Idaho. Great memories.

Last edited:
I've used the below on a light varmint, stainless fluted barrel.
This is interesting, but I'm afraid not enough recoil reduction. I load with mid-70 to 80 gr of powder for this gun. The Big 4 brake would be great if it had a 1/2" thread.