Does a muzzle brake need cleaning?

FEENIX

To me yes, how often and how clean or what method is another story.

There is at least a couple of similar post but did not want to hijack it. For what it is worth, I found the article below ...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/09/yes-muzzle-brakes-need-regular-cleaning/

My muzzle brakes are nowhere close to the article's example. Below is one of mine and decided to clean it ...

MB cleaning 1 of 4.jpg
MB cleaning 2 of 4.jpg

Soaked it with water and lemi shine (~1/2 a TSP of lemi shine, just guessed it) for ~ 1 hour.

MB cleaning 3 of 4.jpg

The build-up comes off easily with a cotton swab.

MB cleaning 4 of 4.jpg

Share your real-world experience here and add to the knowledge base to the LRH community. You know the rules! Have fun with it. Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
I bought a used muzzle break, and it was filthy. So that brake required intense cleanly. I prefer preventative maintenance and follow something like this link

Last edited:
I bought a used muzzle break was a used one, and it was filthy. So that brake required intense cleanly. I prefer preventative maintenance and follow something like this link

As noted, mine does not get too dirty, perhaps because I clean it shortly after each use. This is the first time I have used this method. In the past, I just use whatever solvent I use to clean the barrel, brush as required, and use cotton swabs.

I have never cleaned a brake and don't think I ever will. They tend to get inadvertently washed off twice in their lives during the 2 times during a barrel's life that I'll actually clean it but even then, it's just the odd drip of solvent onto a baffle face which I don't even clean up. My oldest brake (a JP Tactical brake) has something over 4000 rounds through its baffles with no thick caking of carbon.

I clean but only for exterior looks. Never dreamed they might require cleaning for performance.

As mentioned, there are several post on cleaning muzzle brakes and if done often, it prevents carbon build up. Looks are one thing and performance is another. An occasional cleaning can also be used to re lubricate the threads for easy removal.

If you have a sonic cleaner this is the easiest and best way I have found to clean the muzzle brake back to a white metal condition.

J E CUSTOM

I recently tried putting a SS brake in regular, CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) which is readily available. I forgot it overnight. The next morning 100% of the black carbon slid right off with a pass of a Q-tip. It couldn't get any easier than that.

Cleaning your brake is worth while. More importantly you should be removing the brake so you can make sure the crown of your barrel is clean. A lot of buildup can accumulate between your barrel and brake, powder residue, copper and cleaning solvent. All this acculturation of gunk left uncleaned can lead to some nasty effects on your crown and hinder accuracy. I've seen some bad rust and corrosion on rifle crowns from this when left unattended under a brake for extended periods

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.