Muzzel break blew off on the first shot!

Yep...absolutly..the smith is responsable for this. Don't be afraid to ask for your mony back ....plus+++.

On another, semi related topic. There is a local "shooter" around here who owns two Accumarks. A 257( I think) and a 338-378 (I know). Being the true riflman that he is, he took his two guns to a "chain store" to have them cleaned. After they were cleaned, (also, being the true rifleman that he is) took the guns to ANOTHER fellow to have him sight them in for season.

Yep, you guessed it...the brake for the 257 was on the 338 and visa versa. lightbulb No one was hurt, but the shooter says that it sure was exciting for a moment!!!

Evedently the "chain store" is fighting it in court!!! Says it is not resonsable for the damage..

So is there any way to rethread a new muzzle break and salvage the barrel at it's current length? Does that barrel have to be cut shorter, recrowned, and rethreaded? If so, I'd say the smith owes you a new barrel too!

So is there any way to rethread a new muzzle break and salvage the barrel at it's current length? Does that barrel have to be cut shorter, recrowned, and rethreaded? If so, I'd say the smith owes you a new barrel too!

The brakes are designed for given diameter "range". I think it is unlkely you wouldn't have to shorten the barrel.......Rich

I doubt that barrel is salvageable without shortening, recrowning, etc. and there is no way I would do that. Press it with the smith like I mentioned because it's obvious his thread job on the barrel sucked! The threads on the brake don't look like they were even screwed onto the barrel as they look almost untouched.

If he does not want to help out Post on the Forum his name and Contact Information. Send him a link to this thread. I bet he would be pretty quick to make it right.

depending on the current thread of the brake you might be able to go with a new brake that is 9/16-24 thread if the original was a 5/8-24. Assuming the minor diameter was correct originally on the 5/8.

I would give him a chance to explain and reimburse your money, then find someone who can cut a thread correctly, I would also show the person who recommended him so they don't look a fool again!
I would not let him redo any work, the shoulder is tapered, the relief cut is way to deep and the threading tool was not sharp which means you have to cut the thread so deep to get the thing to screw together that it's to small and the threads are sharp little peaks instead of full form threads, the copper anti seize did not tighten the threads up either!!
That is an embarrassing threading job IMO, I would cut back the barrel and start over, get a new brake as well cause if he screwed up the threading that bad I seriously doubt brake was installed and bored concentric to the bore fo the barrel. Consider it a cheaper lesson than having him true the threads on a receiver and thread a barrel to fit!!!!

Threads are undersize. That is why they look flat and barely have any tooth to them. He cut it too small and tried to make some thread for the brake to fit. Another gunsmith might be able to clean up the break threads. You are going to lose an inch or so of your barrel length to recrown and cut the proper thread tenon. Your bluing is the effects of sandpaper or emery cloth to try and polish the joint between the break and the barrel. He sanded the bluing off. So it will need to be reblued. However this joker was doesn't have a clue. Any smith should know better than to use sandpaper or emery cloth on bluing and just cut taper the break to match the barrel taper.

Tank

Clayne B - get your money back and bring that thing down to Hurricane! We'll get it fixed up for you!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.