Mule Deer Hunt Next Week

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Len Backus, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Next Friday I head back to NE Montana and the Missouri River Breaks region to hunt with outfitter Scott Sundheim. Last year he did a great job for me. The biggest mulies he has been seeing lately would gross score around 180. That's gotten me fired up!

Sioux Pass Outfitters

Last week Chris Matthews re-barreled my 7mm Dakota with a lighter, shorter pipe. It is a Schneider polygonal, 1-9 twist, 28 inch with an M40A3 profile.

I have about 70 rounds fired so far. This afternoon I was out confirming my 100 yard zero and establishing come-ups at 500 and 700 yards. 6.25 moa got me out to 500 and 11.0 worked for 700 yards. I am shooting Cauterucio 176 grain VLD's at 3150 fps.

The groups shown on the steel targets in the pictures were 3 shots each, fired prone with Harris bipod and sand-sock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am ready!

[ 10-11-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

2. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Good luck with your hunt. They have some nice mulies out there. Wish I had the time to make the trip over there. Post some pics when you get back.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Len!!!

You been shooting the weather vane again???

Good luck on your hunt, hope you catch a big one!

4. Len Backus

Hey, in a 10 mph wind, and I call which propeller I'm going to hit! Yea, I shoot at the wind vane. So what......!

(for those who've never shot at steel...bullet hitting steel splatters upwards [​IMG] )

Now...I need someone to come along and lug just one of these 120 pound plates of steel up into the hills of Montana so I can check my zero in local conditions. Someone with a strong back who doesn't know any better...!

Volunteers?

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

LOL!

Spatter is a real problem, ask any weather vane or ignorant bystander.

Carry steel plates, 120#s.
    I wear a size 2 hat and a size 44 shirt, do I fit the ticket???

BTW, that's pretty good shooting off that Harris and sand sock.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Len,
    Thanks for the pics! Good shootin' and have a great time! I've always wanted to hunt Mule Deer, but haven't done so yet. Maybe next year.... Looking forward to seeing the pics from your hunt!!!!!

7. Taos

Taos Well-Known Member

Good luck Len

We just got back from doing the same thing in Wy. Had a great time. Watch that breeze!

8. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

Len, I know Scott and he's a good guy. I can also back up his claims of 180 class mulies. I have seen some in that class myself while scouting this year. Hope you get one of them and take lot's of photos. I live about 20 minutes from Scott's house. He has great country leased up and he is a good hunter as well as guide. I must admit I envy the land you will have access to. Have fun!

9. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

You just have to love those high powered 7mm's nice shooting. Your Dakota was a case type I considered years ago. I've got a 5.5x22 power NightForce on my 7mm. What kind of scope were you using?

I really only shoot 175 grain spbt's and the gun came with a slower 11:1 twist.

180 is quite the score

[​IMG] Safe Hunting!

10. Len Backus

Cowboy, Nighthunter, Taos, Big Sky, budlight: Thanks for the good wishes.

Dave, thanks to you too...for offering to lug my steel!

budlight, my scope is exactly the same as yours.

Taos, I head back out west on Thanksgiving day...that time to Wyoming near Sundance.

11. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Hey Len-- got a buddy of mine that's shooting a 6.5-284 XP-100 with a big 17" Shilen on it. He was running &lt;3" @ 600 yds. recently with 140 A-Max. We went to the ITRC this yr. in Gillette, WY, and i watched him run 8 in a row @ 585 on 8" steel circles, then 2 more @ 685. All this with a screwed up (zero) 3-12X Burris LER.

He comes out here around Durango every year for a cow elk hunt, but then it's an XP-100 7.82 Patriot.

Good luck on you hunt.

12. Len Backus

Doesn't seem fair to the cow elk. [​IMG]