Mounting and Lapping Scope without Wheeler Tools

kc0pph

I went to Sportsmans warehouse today and they had the complete 1" kit for 99. This is a little bit more than i want to pay, so i have been doing some research as to how i could align the scope in the mounts and lap the rings.

I heard that i could go get 1" bar stock and use that for lapping the rings, but how would one align them unless the lapping bar could be used for both?

Just curious as to any ideas?

I recently bought some round stock and turned it on a lathe to make sure it was truly round (round bar stock will more often than not have flat spots) and threaded it for a handle. So while I was at it I made a set of alignment rods as well. I don't know if you have access to a lathe, but if you do it won't take you no time at all to turn one out real quick. I just really wouldn't suggest using plain ole round stock as they do very often have flat spots. Maybe you would rather go with Burris Signature Series rings...no lapping or alignment issues to deal with. Maybe something to look into. Good luck.

In my experience, most good quality rings don't NEED lapping.
And +1 on the BURRIS "Z" rings.

Well I have leopuld rings and bases. I did my best to align them, but i know it is off. When i mounted the front (Dovetail) to the scope, I them took the scope and sighted my plum line. I then got it set up correctly and attached the rear (Windage style). when i tried to attach the ring to the base (Tighten it), The ring was not sitting flat on the base. So i decided to loosen the base attach the ring, and then attach the scope. Not sure how perfect it is, I know it is close. Ill find some way to do it right, But im not paying 30 bucks for 3 pieces of metal... When they mass produce those things they could give us all a little better price.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.