Basic Scope Mounting tools

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by logo91, May 14, 2013.

1. logo91

logo91 Active Member

I would like to get into mounting scopes my self and I was wondering what tools/supplies would be needed to do this? I know i need (base, rings, scope, loctite) for each mount... the tools needed are (torque driver(inch lbs) bits for it, 2 levels, some type of locktitie not sure which? Im sure there are a few other things.. Any help would be appreciated and is there a kit that any would recommend with out breaking the bank? Thanks

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I think you can get started with flat and torx screw drivers.

I use a torque wrench for base screws with just a couple threads of engagement, but that does not happen very often.

3. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

4. DeerHunter101

DeerHunter101 Well-Known Member

I use the Wheeler Professional Scope Mounting Kit. So far it has worked very good. As for the loctite I use the blue kind. Hope this helps.:)

5. logo91

logo91 Active Member

Thanks for the feed back im going to look into the wheeler scope kit

6. logo91

logo91 Active Member

7. DeerHunter101

I use the kit you have in your link. I really like the Wheeler but I can't comment on the Weaver cause I have no experience with it.

8. logo91

logo91 Active Member

Do you use the lap bar even when you use a one piece base? And the levels pretty easy to use?

9. DeerHunter101

I personally do not lap my rings cause I have never found any ring marks on any scopes I have mounted and taken off. The levels are pretty simple, you just remove the bolt and place the chamber level in the chamber and place the turrett level on the turrett and rotate the scope until it is level with the chamber. If you have turrett caps you will have to take those off first. Also I think its best to take time and make sure your rifle is compleatly level before you start. I use a Tipton gunvice. I place my rifle in the vice then level that before starting the scope leveling. The kit comes with a dvd that can probly explain the process alot better then I can but I hope this helps.

10. logo91

logo91 Active Member

yea it helped... thanks deerhunter

11. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Lapping is personal preference. I lap every set of rings, including vertically splt Warne's.

Not breaking the bank...

*A FAT wrench with bits (It's a torque indicating screwdriver)
    *Clover lapping compound in extra fine from ENCO. It'a about 8 bucks for a can and a can will outlast you.
    *You can get the lapping bars from Wheeler or you can buy a 3 foot length of ground drill rod in 1" or 30mm cheaper and have lots left. Just hacksaw of a convient length for lapping the rings. Makes a dandy alignment bar (rear ring to fromt ring too.
    *Loctite 232 blue threadlocker, from ENCO again. Couple of bucks.

Breaking the bank...

I use LSStarrett machinery precision levels because I own a machine shop. I imagine there are inexpensive alternatives out there.

Far as I'm concerned that absolutely worst case scenario is letting the bozo's at Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro mount a scope. They are all idiots.

12. logo91

logo91 Active Member

sidecar ill probably just end up getting the kit from wheeler....and i agree having someone at a big box store mount your scope is not a good idea

13. logo91

logo91 Active Member

when installing a base do you just locktite the screws that go through the base into the gun? Or is there more than that to it?

14. DeerHunter101

I locktite the base screws and the top ring screws. If Im using a picatinny style mount I do the same but I don't locktite the bottom ring bolts.