Bolt lapping tool?

kc

Who makes a bolt lapping tool for a Springfield 03A3?
I find lots of tools for Mausers but nothing for the Springfields.

They're easy to make if you have a lathe.

Otherwise, you can mannually apply pressure to the bolt face with a wooden dowel.

-- richard

Didn't you say , in another post, that your brother has a lathe? Be good practice cutting square threads if you made one. Or, take the threaded end of a worn out Springfield barrel for starters.

One of my early practice runs was to take a piece of heavy duty plastic/nylon? round stock and thread it for my reciever.

Once it fit the reciever, I decided to make a bolt lapping tool rather than purchase one. So, I did the following...

- found a .5"x4" spring at the tool store
- cut the length of the round stock to fit the spring
- bored the inside of the round stock to fit the spring, stopping about .5" short of the receiver shank
- bored a hole through the shank just shy of the bolt face dia
- made a plunger to fit the bore of the round stock with a nipple to fit the ID of the bolt face and about 1" long (.5" protruding towards the bot face)
- made a threaded end cap to capture/compress the spring and apply pressure to the plunger/nipple

It was good practice, and saved a few $$.

-- richard

My Brother was a bit ****ed off at me when I told him I made a post about a bolt lapping tool.
That was just plane unexcusible(quote)..from my Brother. I got ahead of myself, after posting this, there was no way to remove it..

Hey! my Dr got me on some new stuff!!! I just don't think.
All I need is a new cutter (to cut the thread) for the tool..then I will have one for my tool box.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.