Bolt lapping tool?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kc, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Who makes a bolt lapping tool for a Springfield 03A3?
    I find lots of tools for Mausers but nothing for the Springfields.

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

The Springfield '03, '03a3 are a 'thing of the past'. You will probably have to make one.

3. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

They're easy to make if you have a lathe.

Otherwise, you can mannually apply pressure to the bolt face with a wooden dowel.

-- richard

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Didn't you say , in another post, that your brother has a lathe? Be good practice cutting square threads if you made one. Or, take the threaded end of a worn out Springfield barrel for starters.

5. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

One of my early practice runs was to take a piece of heavy duty plastic/nylon? round stock and thread it for my reciever.

Once it fit the reciever, I decided to make a bolt lapping tool rather than purchase one. So, I did the following...

- found a .5"x4" spring at the tool store
    - cut the length of the round stock to fit the spring
    - bored the inside of the round stock to fit the spring, stopping about .5" short of the receiver shank
    - bored a hole through the shank just shy of the bolt face dia
    - made a plunger to fit the bore of the round stock with a nipple to fit the ID of the bolt face and about 1" long (.5" protruding towards the bot face)
    - made a threaded end cap to capture/compress the spring and apply pressure to the plunger/nipple

It was good practice, and saved a few $$.

-- richard

6. kc

kc Well-Known Member

My Brother was a bit pissed off at me when I told him I made a post about a bolt lapping tool.
    That was just plane unexcusible(quote)..from my Brother. I got ahead of myself, after posting this, there was no way to remove it..

Hey! my Dr got me on some new stuff!!! I just don't think.
    All I need is a new cutter (to cut the thread) for the tool..then I will have one for my tool box.