Most Accurate AR -15

It Seems like people are really happy with White Oak Armory Uppers, I looked at them and the only thing I dont like is the 18" heavy match uppers with Free float HG's dont have threaded muzzles, other than that another fine example of a good quality low cost match upper that should get you Sub MOA

WOA will thread the end and install a flash hider or brake if you want one. I did not want one because I won't be going into battle at my age (69). :D

PS: Here are 5 shots at 100 yds. which are less than 1/2". gun) - - - - - - - - - - - -

Attachments

• WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    22.1 KB · Views: 132
Sweet rifle and group, I didnt see the option to thread the muzzle for flash hider or break thanks for the correction.
I most likely will never have to use my rifle in a home defense situation and I know ill never be in something that could be considered combat, since severe nerve damage prevented me enlisting in the Navy when I was 19, but the compensators and breaks are just nice to have for regular shooting and especially since Ive got my eye on a supressor eventually. Man those bring a whole new level of enjoyment to shooting, in top of how "tacticool" high speed and badass they look gun):D

+1 for WOA... I can shoot 1" groups with mine at 300 yards. 20" 1:8 varmint chamber, fluted bull barrel. I loaded up some 69gr bullets @ 2930 FPS. I was shoiting along side my buddy with his savage bolt gun also at 300 and he couldn't believe my AR-15 could keep up with him at that distance. Now granted a lot of time goes into my reloads and in my AR-15 build. I cant give all the credit to the barrel, I spent a lot on other parts as well.

You forgot to mention your trigger finger which is very important also. :D

joseph

Most accurate? depends on the shooter's preference and who builds the rifle. I built a custom AR on a Larue upper and lower a couple years ago, and it still holds under 2" grouping at 1000 yds if I do my part. But when I was in the service I saw marksmen with almost every brand of AR-15 they had built to their own specs and could come close or match me shot for shot with their rifles. The most important thing I saw when building my rifle was the upper to lower fit, the Larue fits perfectly tight when assembled, a one piece upper/lower should show the same accuracy, if everything else is done correctly. Even with my 75gr pet load for long distance, wind is a huge factor for shooting the 223 long distance. A lot to consider when it comes to ARs and "accuracy".

Most accurate? depends on the shooter's preference and who builds the rifle. I built a custom AR on a Larue upper and lower a couple years ago, and it still holds under 2" grouping at 1000 yds if I do my part. But when I was in the service I saw marksmen with almost every brand of AR-15 they had built to their own specs and could come close or match me shot for shot with their rifles. The most important thing I saw when building my rifle was the upper to lower fit, the Larue fits perfectly tight when assembled, a one piece upper/lower should show the same accuracy, if everything else is done correctly. Even with my 75gr pet load for long distance, wind is a huge factor for shooting the 223 long distance. A lot to consider when it comes to ARs and "accuracy".

Did you ever do this in competition? If you did I'd like to see your name and world record 5 shot group size listed in the record books. One was shot with a 50 BMG and the smallest was shot with a .338 shortened and neck down to .30 caliber. These were shot with bolt guns.

Here are some record book 5 shot groups shot with bolt guns you can read about and the only 1,000 target I have a picture of. My wife has a habit of throwing them out when I am not around. She doesn't want me to become a hoarder. The scores and group sizes are in the lower right of target. This was the second time I shot at 1,000 yards and did not watch the wind. My best group at 1000 was 3+1/4" 5 shot group.

smallest recorded 5 shot group size shot at 1,000 yds. - Bing

joseph

PS: Here is my best group at 200 yds. with my 6mm Norma BR. bolt gun. :)

Attachments

• 200 yd. target 1.JPG
    200 yd. target 1.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 1000 yd set up .JPG
    1000 yd set up .JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 1000 yd target .JPG
    1000 yd target .JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here is my first ever 5 shot group I shot after I sighted in my scope to foul the barrel. Then the next 5 shot group was shot with 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings. and it was smaller then the first which was with 65 grain Sierra Game Kings. Both were shot at 100 yds.

The rifle has a 223/5.56 WOA 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist. The lower is from a Colt LE 6920 M4 with a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

joseph

PS: Here is the fouling target shot with 65 grain Sierra Game Kings. The 69 gr. Sierra Match king target was even smaller.
OOPS, I found the 69 gr. group.

Attachments

• 5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 127
  • new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 111
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    22.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Joseph

No, I don't compete, it's a waste of my time, and I rarely need to shoot more than once, so five shots seems like a waste of ammo to me. I wouldn't make a habit of shooting an AR in .223 1000yds, too many variables. With a 338, a 408, and multiples 30-06 and 308 caliber based rifles in my armory, and many more I can borrow including two custom .50 BMGs I would rather shoot those for long shots, less math. Also, I bottom out the turret on my AR's scope shooting past 800 yds, so I'm aiming strictly with mildot marks at that point. I have the trigger assemblies out of both ARs right now for repairs, but I will try to get it back together one of these days and put a couple holes on paper if you really wanna see it.

"I built a custom AR on a Larue upper and lower a couple years ago, and it still holds under 2" grouping at 1000 yds if I do my part."

I was just commenting about your quote above. It infers that your AR is a .223 that groups 2" at 1,000 yds. :D

joseph

PS: My AR 15 .223 will hold less than 2 inches at 1,000 yds. every time if I only shoot one hole in the target for each group if I do my part. :D

Did you ever do this in competition? If you did I'd like to see your name and world record 5 shot group size listed in the record books. One was shot with a 50 BMG and the smallest was shot with a .338 shortened and neck down to .30 caliber. These were shot with bolt guns.:)

For the record, I wasn't saying I consistently make that shot at a 1000yds, I'm stating that the rifle is capable of producing shots always within 2" if you remove the human element (me).

Id love to see a 2" 1000 yd group out of an AR, whatever the make, put it in a ransom rest hell, but without a vid i dont buy it.
Ive seen Larue OBR .308's shot to a mile, ive seen one of those same OBR's hold an 8" elevation group at 1200 yards, it was most likely a 16" group because of wind, but unless you were in absolutely no wind and I mean NO wind a completely sealed 1,000yd hall with no airflow whatsoever since a 1mph wind is 15" at that distance with a 77gr SMK, and 9.5" with the 90gr SMK, and any deviation in the wind anywhere from muzzle to target with any round you can sling out of the a .223 is going to move you more than 2". And even going to that hypothetical hermediacally sealed gun range your stating that is can hold 1/5th of a minute at 1,000 yds, If so it shouldnt be any problem to put all 5 shots out of a group through the same hole at 100yds, So id like to see that vid if the logistics of the 2" group @1k are too difficult.

So that means 5 shots that are no further apart than the radius of the round you are using @100yds

Not trying to be a jerk her but I just cant belive what im reading, Ive read some pretty out there claims on the internet but that one takes the cake

Savageman69,

USCGLongBow is veeeery new to to this Forum and probably the others also. He will learn that if you post anything here you better be very careful what you post because if you are not accurate (pun intended ) you WILL be called out on it.

I was trying to be more tactful than you, :D but I agree with you except anyone can put their target 15 feet from the end of the barrel and then shoot their groups. Who would know??? Actually I like to shoot one shot into a target and then measure my one shot group. HEHEHE :D gun)- - - - - - - - - - - -

PS: Even I the Omnipotent one can mess up when posting. HEHEHE :rolleyes:

I was trying to be more tactful than you, :D but I agree with you except anyone can put their target 15 feet from the end of the barrel and then shoot their groups. Who would know??? Actually I like to shoot one shot into a target and then measure my one shot group. HEHEHE :D gun)- - - - - - - - - - - -

yeah I just couldnt help myself, I was trying to be nice about it though.

Ill have to try that "one shot group" I bet I could get a 1/4 min group with my CZ85 standing at 100 with that:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.