Most Accurate AR -15

Last edited:
I bought a 24" varmint DPMS upper from Midway that shoots .25-.5 MOA with 69gr Sierra Match hand loads. Had to break in the barrel with 150 shots before it would do it. Very heavy but matched with my 22x Night Force it will keep up with the bolt guns at the 200 and 300 yard egg shoots.

my rr seems to work alright 5 shots 200yds with hornady 55gr cheapies

Attachments

• ar.jpg
    ar.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 103
  • ar1.jpg
    ar1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 109
I just bought a 6.8 Noveske upper (put on a LMT lower w/ NM trigger) and it is a work of art as well as a legitimate 1/2 to 3/4 MOA gun. Follow through with a semi-auto seems to be a more important issue than with a bolt gun. Les Baer and LaRue both built REAL nice guns but right now, my vote goes to Noveske.

I better put a plug in for white oak armament. I've got one that shoots exceptionally well.

Here is my load data for my Custom AR-15

AR LOAD DATA LINK

It's a mix of brands - JP Rifles, Les Baer, DPMS, Magpul, Double Star...

The barrel is just a DPMS 20" bull barrel

Last edited:
I swear by Rock River Arms 20 in. Varmint Model with the 1:8 Twist.
I have my second one since one of my friends had to have my first one. They both will shoot 1/4 MOA Groups at 100 yards. That is from the bags and when I am having a good day with good ammunition. A couple of times I was using Federal P223E 55gr Boat Tail Hollow Point. Cant beat the two stage NM trigger that comes standard and also the standard winter trigger guard for cold weather coyote hunting while you are wearing gloves. And they do not cost you an arm and a leg!

Really, look like I need a longer barrel to shoot any heaver than 60gr in my DPMS 20"

BRad,

Not really. The barrel length does not have that much to do with shooting heavier bullets. Regarding the 20" and 24" It is the barrel twist that dictates what you need to stabilize the heavier bullets. The 1:8 is just fine for most all grain bullets. The 24" barrel is OK for shooting stationary positions. But front heavy for carrying around if you do much moving. The 20 Bull Barrel Varmint is about all you want to handle if moving and then it can be a chore as the day goes on. And shots up to 600 yards.
Foe example the 1:12 Twist will not handle much over 55 grain bullets without loosing stability and giving some key holes. The 1:8 will handle up to 80 grain if you single load them in the chamber. So 60s and 70s bullets are fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.