Most Accurate AR -15

Who makes the best/most accurate AR-15 in a 16" M-4 style configuration or similar model?

Most any AR will hold MOA with out any issue. If you realy want the best however in that style you realy only have 3 or 4 options. LMT uses Mike Rock's barrels in their MRP platform. Noveske rifles is rated as the best there is in regard to barrels in the AR and its well worth it. Daniel Defence has cold hammer forged barrels and they are fast taking their share of the market. BCM is right up there as well.

Jon

I have the MRP platform it gives me the option right now of switching barrels between 204, 5.56, and 6.8 spc in barrel lengths fron 10" to 24" right now. They are comming out with at least 3 more chamberings this year including the 300 AAC. If you choose its big brother the MWS it allows you the abilty to switch barrels between 308, 260 rem, 6.5 creedmore, 243 etc but its a new platform and only the 308 is available right now but the other rounds should be out by the end of the year.

There is an MRP chassy for sale in the marketplace right now

There is also a company that cuts any barrel you want for the system I could link you

Last edited:
To get a truly accurate AR you almost have to go to a custom barrel (Like Krieger). otherwise
it is a crap shoot.

J E CUSTOM

The rifle itself is just one part shooting accuracy. Long range accuracy still depends on quality ammo and a shooter who can dope wind. No rifle can be more accurate than the variable parameter which is least well corrected. Each error source increases the total error. The decrease in accuracy is related by the square root of the sum of the squares of each error source if the errors are random and uncorrelated.

The point is that buying a Krieger barrel may reduce the errors caused by barrel irregularities to a negligible level, but that may not make a detectable difference if the main errors are from your ability to compensate for a variable downrange crosswinds or from vertical stringing caused by the variable velocity of poor quality ammo.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I had also been looking at LaRue, they seem to offer and great AR. However, LWT seems to always be at the top of the list. From the AR rifles mentioned all those cited are top of the line AR's.

I really like the idea that MWS is going with, being able to switch barresl from 308, 260, 6.5 etc would be great!

Thanks for the information! I shoot competition tactical rifle(bolt gun) when I am able and have not seen very many AR's in the competitions I have participated in, but I think that may soon change.

I did pick up a custom built AR that 308 Nate built and am currently setting it up to see how it will perform in a match. Nate was able to get it to shoot 1/2 MOA with 75 grain, Hornady factory ammo. I would like to see what it will do with handloads, I will keep you post on that.

Although I like tinkering with the AR's, I still have that sweet spot for the bolt guns!

There are many good AR upper providers. Les Baer guarantees 1/2 MOA with his upper. They are rather pricey though. I have a JP Enterprises flat top heavy barrel that will hang with my 40x BR gun with accuracy. You can get a Rock River M4 type upper that has a 1 MOA guarantee for a lot less $. I have one that will shoot 0.75 MOA easily.

My stamp for my Surefire suppressor just came back today from ATF, so I am now the owner of a surefire. I will attach it to my flat top AR and use it for varmit hunting.

Ok so if you are asking Factory platforms then I would lean toward a LWRC or a Stag Arms as both offer the AR in Gas piston system and Stag offers in both and they both come in many calibers. I second the motion for Robert Whitley as I shoot one of his very fine 6mm AR Turbo Imp. in fact I'll be competing with it in Sac.. Calif. at the NRBSA Nationals next weekend at 600 & 1,000 yrds. Don't get me wrong I'm still a bolt action man but I do enjoy the Black gun especially when they are very accurate! You have a lot of choices 204, 5.56 , 6.8SPCII 6.5 Grendel etc. If you handload it's wide open! It comes down to how much are you willing to spend is the real question!

:D

My 16" 1-9 twist Colt H-Bar consistently groups in the .75 MOA range with several brands of 55gr ammo. The rifle is 3 years old. I did have to replace the awful stock trigger with a Rock River Match 2 stage.

Have had them all including Colt, LB, BM, Armalite, and KAC.

The KAC SR15 and SR25 made the others seem "cheaper" but that being said the NEW Colt I am getting as soon as they build one!! The KAC shot Lights out in the 223 but they are difficult to get now.

Is it the barrel , etc , or the shooter ? Who could really , really say one is better than the other. I think its more of sorting out the really bad barrels , than the average and good barrels . I know I'm a great shoot , but your just so, so. lightbulb

Is it the barrel , etc , or the shooter ? Who could really , really say one is better than the other. I think its more of sorting out the really bad barrels , than the average and good barrels . I know I'm a great shoot , but your just so, so. lightbulb

I think my so, so is still better than your greatest shot! The odds are on my side.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.