Most accurare 300 win mag stock rifle

Funny, about every post about Rems, is new trigger, new barrel,new stock, fix this, tinker with that, recrown the barrel and the list just keeps going on and on and on with new Rems. But hey, by the time your done your gun will shoot bug holes! LOL Just buy a Savage with its pressed steel parts and shoot bug holes without all the extra cost. Or buy a Rem and go through the B.S.. the choice is yours.

Reminds me of my last Remington purchase (actually wrong as I bought another 541T).
Nice little 700VS in caliber .223. Never planed on punching paper with it much, but planed on punching coyotes and coons with it. It was a chrome moly gun, and put an
8x-32x scope on it. Shot 4.25" groups (5 shot @ 100 yds) with the best hand loads I could create. The folks I bought it from were geared up for the Big Green Crowd, but sold most of the other brands as well. The gunsmith asked me how it shot one afternoon about six weeks after I bought it. Said it's getting better as I've taken 3/4" out of the first groups! Then he asked how big? I said a little over 4". He asked to look at the rifle to let him shoot it. He called and asked me what I was shooting in it, and I said 27.0 grains of BLC2 under a 55 grain Vmax. Told him the Sierras wouldn't group at all. He calls me up and ask me to let the Fairland boys shoot it. Said go ahead, as I knew they knew what they were doing. A week later they called ask how I got 4" groups out of it. For sure it was a scatter gun!

Rather than send it back like anybody with common sense, I had to fix it. We pulled the barrel and tried to slug it. It tore up the slug so bad that it was useless. Then I read a piece by Bill Calfee on barrels. The chamber end was junk and the bore at the muzzle was over sized. Did a chamber cast, and found out the chamber was cut off center and at an angle. Then I found the bolt seating area had a .070" burr that the bolt was head spacing off of. Yet the bolt was pretty square. I did have several thread masters at work in different pitch diameters. Took the receiver and bolt to work one day, and lightly cleaned them up on a #13 grinder. Then found a thread master that halfway fit. The threads had some taper in them. Recut them on center, and straighter, but ended up with a 1.093 thread diameter. Plus I squared up the face at the same time. Took awhile to figure out a good way to do, but Ferris came to the rescue.

Then I looked over the stock and the ten cent cast metal insert it all bedded in. I then made a bar out of a piece of drill rod that was about .001" smaller in diameter than the action. Ugly! As in very UGLY. The plan was to simply lap the insert to fit the action. Wrong as in double wrong. Now I'm thinking a new aftermarket stock, but a great scheme hit me in the face while hunting up a couple ball end mills for a job. Looking around, I found an oddball six flute ball end mill that was about .020" over size. Got the guys to sharpen it and regrind it to the right diameter I wanted (.004" undersize). Then found the barrel channel part twisted, but that fix was easy.
Didn't how to redo the recoil lug, but others came to the rescue.

Back to the barrel! Cut about 2" off the big end as that part was junk. Ground the recoil lug flat (mistake). Then decided to lap the barrel per Calfee. Did nothing to the last six or seven inches. Then sawed off four inches from the muzzle. Took what was left over to the gunsmith and had him finish the barrel but leave the chamber short till I got the rest ready. Dropped everything off. That's when he told me the recoil lug area was a mess, and asked why I didn't buy a new lug from Sinclair?

After about two months we goto the range, and I shoot 3/4" groups with factory loaded Hornaday ammo. A lot better, but just lack luster. Trigger was driving me nuts! Would actually freeze up during travel. Nothing looked wrong. Doug reworked it, and set it up in a jig to get it right. Looked good, so it's off to the range with the same ammo. Shot much better but still froze up every now and then. Doug went thru it again, and it was not better. Yet it was right per the gauge. Talked with Ferris and he gave me a 1978 trigger he'd built. Broke the half inch barrier, but felt the rifle was still unsafe. Every once in awhile the firing pin would let go when the safety was let off. The last trigger didn't do it but a couple times. Ferris said it was a design flaw, and keep the trigger pull above two pounds. Next time out I brought my range loading equipment, and got into the mid fours. Yet on the table next to me was a guy shooting a Savage with a Kmart scope shooting .350" groups. The short heavy barrel gets a lot of attention, and has a near perfect balance. Fantastic off hand gun. Folks have asked me how many hundred feet per second I lost, and with a laugh I tell them 74fps.

Would I go thru this crap again? No! I'd have returned it!
gary

Since we're bringing up bad barrel experiences and getting screwed-over, I have a good and expensive one.........

But since we all already know about it, it need not be repeated again. :cool:

Hey, Mudrunner, Trickymissfit said it the best, there is your Remington for ya. And if he would had sent his rifle back to Remington there is a good chance it would have never been fixed right either and he would have had to wait at least 3 months to get it back. Like I did.

lightbulbEvery time Savage and Remington rifles or .300 WM and 7MM Rem Mag is involved, it's a vicious circle and there's always key player(s), one more notable than others in the midst of it all.lightbulb

and then there is always that member(s) who shows up and gives the vaguest advice you could possibly ask for.........................................................

IN EVERY THREAD.

Hey, Mudrunner, Trickymissfit said it the best, there is your Remington for ya. And if he would had sent his rifle back to Remington there is a good chance it would have never been fixed right either and he would have had to wait at least 3 months to get it back. Like I did.

I don't mess with triggers a lot. Still I have from time to time. At the time the guy I shot with every Tuesday was a gunsmith. Really knew Remingtons, but not as good with a Winchester or Savage. Still he was starting to learn Savages the hard way. When we had several rounds go off at the range (maybe four or five [one is too many]); he went back to the store and pulled every Remington that came in that shipment (he'd already sold a couple). There were five or six left. Three or four did the samething! He then called the girls in the office to contact the folks that bought the others while I was standing there. Doug was pale! Decided the factory never adjusted the triggers right. WRONG!

The barrel, I'm willing to accept. But still should never have passed inspection (if they actually do an inspection). What bothers me most was the head space and bolt seating. How could one not catch the bolt seating on a .070" burr????? Plus I'm part of the blame for not looking the rifle over real good (I do now!) The bolt itself was pretty good out of the box, but a little rough where it contacted the case head. Dusting the bolt face took five minutes once I got it indicated in. Another issue I ran into (that I never mentioned) was the ejector pin and the extractor. Both were junk. The pin was simply polished and I cut the spring back a little to let the case fall where I wanted it to be. The ejector bent every case rim about .010". It got an M16 extractor, and never saw an issue again.

Now after I finally got thru this new avenue of torture; I ended up with a rifle I love. One of the very best off hand rifles I've ever had in my hands. The short heavy barrel gives an almost perfect balance between my hands. I've shot Many coyotes with it. It normally shoots in the mid fours, and for 300 yards is plenty good enough. I have dipped into the high threes a few times (5 shot groups). The rifle is over scoped (32x?), and rarely crank the power up past 20x. A 6x-18x would be perfect. I use a Davidson follower that's all epoxied in to make a single shot. Wish I'd kept the internal magazine. Still I can get three shots off very quickly with some practice.

The chamber is a .223NM that uses a .246 neck. Most cases are turned to about .244". It was a borrowed reamer from Ferris Pendell's stash. He also had a .245" and a .244" reamer. .245" would have worked out better. Throat is fairly short, and seems ideal for a 52 grain Sierra. Still it won't shoot them very well!

Anyway your looking at a nine to twelve month saga!
gary

by the way Savages are not my favorite guns, incase it means anything to the masses. I love Hi-Walls and Lo-Walls with Savage 99's a close second. Have always been fond of Remington 600 series rifles.

Gary

by the way Savages are not my favorite guns, incase it means anything to the masses.

Same here! I really like how my SAKO and Carl Gustaf rifles are built. Something about the Ruger that I like too. Of all my Remingtons, I am fond of my 1903 in .30-06.

I'd like to own a Win 70 someday too. Sauer, CZ, Browning, and WBTY are also in my dream list. :D

Same here! I really like how my SAKO and Carl Gustaf rifles are built. Something about the Ruger that I like too. Of all my Remingtons, I am fond of my 1903 in .30-06.

I'd like to own a Win 70 someday too. Sauer, CZ, Browning, and WBTY are also in my dream list. :D

Right before Winchester folded up, I ordered a Mod. 70 Supergrade with the half octagon barrel in 30-06. Select walnut stock and all that. Never was delivered! Still P.O.'d about that!!!

gary

Savages are not my favorite either but I will choose a NEW Savage over a NEW Rem. every day of the week.... My favorite is a Browning A bolt 30-06. And yep, I like them OLDER Remingtons too. I have a model 600 Mohawk in a 6mm Rem.. And a 760 BDL 30-06.

So, if this fella that started this thread is still looking for an accurate rifle in a 300 win. mag. I would still say for the price a Savage Bear Hunter is the way to go.

So after much thinking I almost ended up with the Tikka t3 tactical, but after looking online I found a used 700 boone crocket 300 win mag with 63cm barrel and supressor ready.
Got it dirt cheap, so i thougt i had to buy a new barrel for it...

Got to the range the last two days and got som good results on 100 meters(109yards) 0.58moa with 208 A-max.
The rifle did not like the 190 nosler cc, but going to try 220 cc and 220 scenar this weekend. Then i also will try the a-max at 500 meters (545yards).

Im happy with the rifle and love the recoil in the light bastard. But i need to find a more suted stock or chassis for competing. Im looking at GRS Berserk, MDT, or a AICS chassis.

One of the most respectable gun builders in the country told me to stay away from savage if i already did not bougt one :))))))

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.