Most accurare 300 win mag stock rifle

Sauer6point5

Im going to buy a 300 win mag this summer. Im looking at
- Tikka super varmint
- Savage 111 long range
- Remington 700

Do they have the same accuracy? I will later uppgrade with MDT chassis.

Well, we tend to kick these rifles around quite a bit and everyone has their favorites, and chances are any of the three will shoot to expectations, with a mod or two. But I will start the ball rolling with the Savage.

The Savage use a drop box magazine, has one of the best and safest factory triggers on the market. The Savage uses a 3 position safety, just another safe feature on a rifle. It also comes with a muzzle brake that can be either open or closed. The Savage AccuStock works well. Plus you can easily change barrels out yourself when the time comes, saving you lots of time and frustration. What's not to like about it?

I'm with Mudrunner, the Remington 5r that I have is a really good shooter. It shoots as good as any high dollar custom I've owned.

we can not get the tikka here. where are you ? canada ? what are you shooting at? there are a lot of good remingtons the 5-r is one. sendero. PSS.

I looked at several. The problem with the new remingtons is the triggers are not that good and accuracy is sometimes there, sometimes not. I think Todays Remingtons are not near as good as what they used to make. Savage is what I ended up with. I added the cost of the rifle, trigger and brake (you want one with a 300 wm) and came out ahead. The decision for me than came down to Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter. I ended up with the Bear Hunter and it is very accurate. There are some great videos of this rifle in a 300 wsm at 1000, 1500 and a mile and for out of the box it is something you should consider. I did end up switching out my bolt knob and I also put on a better cheek rest and I really like the end result. Sako is also another excellent rifle out of the box but a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well, we tend to kick these rifles around quite a bit and everyone has their favorites, and chances are any of the three will shoot to expectations, with a mod or two. But I will start the ball rolling with the Savage.

The Savage use a drop box magazine, has one of the best and safest factory triggers on the market. The Savage uses a 3 position safety, just another safe feature on a rifle. It also comes with a muzzle brake that can be either open or closed. The Savage AccuStock works well. Plus you can easily change barrels out yourself when the time comes, saving you lots of time and frustration. What's not to like about it?

+1! In addition, the floating bolt head design is awesome. They are the most DIY friendly too.

Savage or Tikka gets my vote, both are very well made for factory rifles. Remingtons, not so much.

Another vote for Savage. Remington isn't the same company it used to be and the quality of their guns and service reflects it.

I know people have lost there faith in Remington but my new sendero sure is showing some serious promise.

Last edited:
Savage or Tikka gets my vote, both are very well made for factory rifles. Remingtons, not so much.

Another vote for Savage. Remington isn't the same company it used to be and the quality of their guns and service reflects it.

Yall might want to shoot a 5R Milspec rifle before writing off Remington for good... Factory Senderos are also known shooters...I have several of both models. And I won't keep a barrel on a rifle unless it shoots 3/4 MOA (at the very most) or less. Heavy barreled rifles 1/2 MOA is where I draw the line, but some sporter-barreled rifles 3/4 or less.

I looked at several. The problem with the new remingtons is the triggers are not that good and accuracy is sometimes there, sometimes not. I think Todays Remingtons are not near as good as what they used to make. Savage is what I ended up with. I added the cost of the rifle, trigger and brake (you want one with a 300 wm) and came out ahead. The decision for me than came down to Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter. I ended up with the Bear Hunter and it is very accurate. There are some great videos of this rifle in a 300 wsm at 1000, 1500 and a mile and for out of the box it is something you should consider. I did end up switching out my bolt knob and I also put on a better cheek rest and I really like the end result. Sako is also another excellent rifle out of the box but a little more than I wanted to pay.

Yep!

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=8[/ame]

I have a SAKO M995 in 300 Win Mag that harvested a MT bull elk at 931 in 2013. It's all factory except for a muzzle brake install.

Thans for the nice innput:)
Im living in Norway by the way.
Did not know about that savage easy barrel change, but after a serch, the savage barrels have to be ordered from US. No barrels in Norway.
This rifle will be used for hunting and some long range target.
I have a 700SA in AICS stock and a Sig Sauer 200/ssg3000 str for most of my training. Planing on about 750 shots a year for the new 300 win mag. So barrel swap is not the biggest issue.
I know the Tikka have a smooth action and is high quality so im leaning a bit towards the Super varmint 300win mag.
Did check out check out the savage 22lr. bolt rifle when i was in the marked for a rimfire, but did not like the quality when the rifle was in ny hand, felt cheap... Is the savage centerfire rifles higher quality?

Thans for the nice innput:)
Im living in Norway by the way.
Did not know about that savage easy barrel change, but after a serch, the savage barrels have to be ordered from US. No barrels in Norway.
This rifle will be used for hunting and some long range target.
I have a 700SA in AICS stock and a Sig Sauer 200/ssg3000 str for most of my training. Planing on about 750 shots a year for the new 300 win mag. So barrel swap is not the biggest issue.
I know the Tikka have a smooth action and is high quality so im leaning a bit towards the Super varmint 300win mag.
Did check out check out the savage 22lr. bolt rifle when i was in the marked for a rimfire, but did not like the quality when the rifle was in ny hand, felt cheap... Is the savage centerfire rifles higher quality?

Sauer makes awesome line of rifles. Tikkas and SAKOs have indeed very smooth actions and built with quality in mind

As far as the barrel issue you might want to do a EU search for Lothar and Border barrels. Also, Bergara makes barrels with distributors throughout EU, there might be one near you. They also makes rifles that might suit you >>> Barrels. Some US barrel makers also have European authorized distributors that might be near you, at least within the same continent :D, like European Distributor - Lilja

Like most rifle manufacturer's, Savage cater to various budgets, checkout their Mark II series offerings >>> Savage Arms. My friend has the BRJ and it's an abosute tack driver.

Another absolutely beautiful rifle and ingenious design made in EU is the Blaser, if it's in your budget of course ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/AoE4XEp3zq8?t=48[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/RsiixFOVKGU?t=153[/ame]

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.