Moose?

haha, yup. we can squeeze off a good heart or lung shot but those massive monsters tend to run off a little ways. only trouble is there's no telling which way. better to have those item's just in case. just like that one rolling into the deep creek. we'd need scuba gear if tried cutting it where it floated. that come-along winch saved the day. better to have and not need than to need and not have. good luck on all your trips and enjoy. scott

I've been involved in over 100 moose kills and because of the lack of damage to meat a good number of them have been lung shots. The overwhelming number of them haven't taken more than a couple of steps once they were hit. It could be that the terrain we hunt in leads moose to just lie down in order to hide. I haven't had to pack a moose in more than 30 years and I'm getting a little old to start doing it now.

Gus

Hunting in the YK Delta

This is what's great about alaska. It's big, and although each and every corner of the state however similar can varie in so many ways. Being Alaskan Born and Raised in the South West (YK Delta), you are acustomed to your surroundings. I cannot comment on hunting in other regions of our great state because I haven't done it. There never was a need to. There's caribou, moose, bears, and many small game in which to hunt and trap in my region. Here along the lower Yukon river and its connecting sloughs, the banks are lined with thick willows, alders and cottonwood tree's. there's also openings where the banks have eroded and exposed meadows once hidden by these growth of tree's. there's no 'old logging' trails or 'mining' roads out here. It's safe to say that 9 out of 10 moose kills have to be packed. Whether its 50 ft or 300 yds. I've done both and many in between. Whether it was mine, my hunting partners or just helping out other hunter's packing game out. We out here help our neighborhs if they need it. Yes it can be tough packing meat out but when you've worked all day and your boat has a moose in it and you and your hunting partners are catching your breath and resting, there's no greater satisfaction then of a job well done. I can't emagine living anywhere else. Scott

Re: Hunting in the YK Delta

This is what's great about alaska. It's big, and although each and every corner of the state however similar can varie in so many ways. Being Alaskan Born and Raised in the South West (YK Delta), you are acustomed to your surroundings. I cannot comment on hunting in other regions of our great state because I haven't done it. There never was a need to. There's caribou, moose, bears, and many small game in which to hunt and trap in my region. Here along the lower Yukon river and its connecting sloughs, the banks are lined with thick willows, alders and cottonwood tree's. there's also openings where the banks have eroded and exposed meadows once hidden by these growth of tree's. there's no 'old logging' trails or 'mining' roads out here. It's safe to say that 9 out of 10 moose kills have to be packed. Whether its 50 ft or 300 yds. I've done both and many in between. Whether it was mine, my hunting partners or just helping out other hunter's packing game out. We out here help our neighborhs if they need it. Yes it can be tough packing meat out but when you've worked all day and your boat has a moose in it and you and your hunting partners are catching your breath and resting, there's no greater satisfaction then of a job well done. I can't emagine living anywhere else. Scott

I wasn't born in Alaska but I've been here since I was in HS and here is where I'll stay. Though I haven't had to pack a moose for a long time just the amount of work involved in getting one hung off of our meat poles and then processing it once it gets to our home is still a considerable amount of work. It is still well worth it once it is all done.

Gus

a1.jpg

cartresize.jpg

Dean08.jpg

A few moose hunting pictures for your viewing pleasure...

Canuck shooter are you by any chance from around the P.G. or Vanderhoof area? I noticed you had a couple of albino moose pictured there and there are quite a few of them around here. PM me if you dont want it advertised where you are

Canuck shooter are you by any chance from around the P.G. or Vanderhoof area? I noticed you had a couple of albino moose pictured there and there are quite a few of them around here. PM me if you dont want it advertised where you are

You nailed it!! I'm living about 40KM outside PG. ;-)

I have not been to Canada or Alaska but I have been to the Maine North Woods, an hour from the Canadian border. The lodge that I hunted bear and grouse at, does guide for Moose. It seems to me that typical moose habitat does not lend itself well to long range hunting. What is the typical and longest shot distance that you experienced hunters expect on Moose?

I have not been to Canada or Alaska but I have been to the Maine North Woods, an hour from the Canadian border. The lodge that I hunted bear and grouse at, does guide for Moose. It seems to me that typical moose habitat does not lend itself well to long range hunting. What is the typical and longest shot distance that you experienced hunters expect on Moose?

I do most of my hunting above treeline and a lot of our spotting is a mile or more.

Gus

There is no limit in many places I hunt moose, large logging cuts, across lakes, huge moose meadows, pipeline right of ways all lend themselves well for long range shooting!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.